Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should it cost to rebuild a 5r55s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I know how you feel, I've been there before. Hell I'm sure most people with modded cars have been there before. Crap breaks, it's the name of the game. Just realize how much time/money you have into it and how much you will loose getting rid of it. When my trans went I got so frustrated I wanted to just leave it at the shop and never bother with it again but in the end it's stronger and I'm happy I'm not driving a Honda
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
... and I'm happy I'm not driving a Honda
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Believe me if I had the money to get it fixed I would. Things have been rough for me lately.

I can really only see 2 options for the near future... a) get rid of the car or b) buy a used tranny for around $500 and try to figure out a way to drop the old tranny and install the new one. I think there are some instructions online for this but still don't really feel comfortable doing it. I think the most I might be able to do semi-comfortably with the tranny is drop the pan and replace the solenoid and that's really pushing it.

I am kind of pissed at the stealership I went to though to 'diagnose' the problem... as the only thing they really did was drive the car about 15 miles and it took them 6 hours to get around to it, only to tell me they think something is wrong internally and then they charged me $100 + tax... Well I already knew that it was something internal... they did mention the band may be bad but really they have no idea unless they open the thing up. I was under the impression the diagnoses was that they would open it up and figure out exactly what is wrong...

Last edited by gburke1; 01-31-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Update: Called up AAMCO today and to my surprise got someone who seemed genuinely helpful. Brought the car there and they dropped the pan etc to see if they could find the problem. They could not find the problem but they did find something I for some reason was not surprised about: THE DEALER I TOOK THE CAR TO A FEW DAYS AGO DIDN'T FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION FLUID... it came out BLACK. I didn't get the pics when it was totally black but I did get a few good pics showing it's obviously not remotely new fluid (it was supposedly changed a few days ago)

So basically I paid for a transmission flush that wasn't performed and a BS diagnostic test. Haven't talked to the dealer yet but did tell my dad (he get's pissed when this kind of stuff happens and usually stuff get's done so I'll just leave that to him)

Unfortunately they did find some metal shavings stuck to the magnet in the pan so something is probably coming apart.

They replaced the solenoid pack to rule that out and it didn't fix the issue. The shop owner at Aamco offered to fix it for $1000 maximum or less if the labor/parts/work comes to less than $1000.

Pics of tranny fluid will be attached shortly.

Edit:

My fluid is the darker one, the red is new transmission fluid

Last edited by gburke1; 01-31-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

I am having almost the identical issues with my transmission. Did you go ahead with the repair and if so, what was the problem with it? I purchased my rebuilt trans which was upgraded with supposedly stronger and better internal parts and I would hate to ship it back for repairs. Any help I can get would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lenko
I am having almost the identical issues with my transmission. Did you go ahead with the repair and if so, what was the problem with it? I purchased my rebuilt trans which was upgraded with supposedly stronger and better internal parts and I would hate to ship it back for repairs. Any help I can get would be appreciated.
Took mine to Dunlop Ford to determine the reason for the slipping transmission. They were unable to come up with anything to show why this transmission is slipping. It also cost me $ 94.45 to find out what I already knew - the transmission is slipping! Well! At least they reprogrammed the restraint control module which I should have done 5 years ago.
Today I sent the transmission back to the rebuilder of this beefed up transmission for warranty work whatever that might be. My thoughts are that either servo bores are worn oblong loosing pressure or a the solenoid is sticking. But, what do I know.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lenko
Took mine to Dunlop Ford to determine the reason for the slipping transmission. They were unable to come up with anything to show why this transmission is slipping. It also cost me $ 94.45 to find out what I already knew - the transmission is slipping! Well! At least they reprogrammed the restraint control module which I should have done 5 years ago.
Today I sent the transmission back to the re builder of this beefed up transmission for warranty work whatever that might be. My thoughts are that either servo bores are worn oblong loosing pressure or a the solenoid is sticking. But, what do I know.
Update!

My transmission is being returned to me - repaired on warranty. They indicate that the pressure regulator valve was stuck due to some debris from the torque converter. Although they state it was no error on their part, they covered the repairs in good faith under warranty. I am replacing the torque converter and as they suggest, and will flush the cooler lines and cooler before reinstalling the transmission. I will also be adding a B. & M. remote transmission filter to ensure any residue doesn't get in the transmission. Sure hope this corrects my slipping, flaring on shift problem.