Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupidity Strikes again 87 fuel 91 tune?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Stupidity Strikes again 87 fuel 91 tune?!?!?!?

Hey Guys

well just got gas in my car and noticed the moron put regular in it, i hate in NJ you cant fuel your own car.

question is, will running 87 fuel with my 91 street bama tune do damage?
i just called bama and of course my phone died have way throught the conversation haha, im thinkin rough idle and maybe a knock or ping.

any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Load the 87 tune is the first choice. If not, then drive as granny as you can until you can put some 93 octane in. 1/2 tank of the 87 + 1/2 tank of 93 and you should be close enough to 91 to not have to worry.

It's pinging you're listening for.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

You can't fill up your own car in NJ??

Anyways, yeah, I'd say try to load an 87 tune. If you don't have one you could contact bama and they could send you one on the fly. I'd be nervous about running the 91 tune.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
You can't fill up your own car in NJ??

Anyways, yeah, I'd say try to load an 87 tune. If you don't have one you could contact bama and they could send you one on the fly. I'd be nervous about running the 91 tune.
Yep, all fuel stations in NJ are full service only. They seem to believe humans are incapable of successfully filling up their own gas tanks. Why they're okay with you driving in the first place if they don't think you can fill up your tank, is what boggles my mind.

@OP

Switch out to an 87 tune, you don't want to risk any damage on your car. Listening for pinging would be the key. Especially on crappier winter gas I would be even more nervous running 87 on a 91 tune.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Part of it is to create jobs. Here in oregon where it rains 9 months of the year im more than happy to pay a few cents more to stay in my warm car. Just pay attention to the button the attendant presses .
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

It's sad that people doing a job so easy as filling up gas tanks still mess up.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

You will be fine as long as you limp for about half a tank. Take it easy and listen for pinging, and you should be good. Fill it up with 93 as soon as you can though.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Joe Pooch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Yep, all fuel stations in NJ are full service only. They seem to believe humans are incapable of successfully filling up their own gas tanks. Why they're okay with you driving in the first place if they don't think you can fill up your tank, is what boggles my mind.

@OP

Switch out to an 87 tune, you don't want to risk any damage on your car. Listening for pinging would be the key. Especially on crappier winter gas I would be even more nervous running 87 on a 91 tune.
Yeah the Gov says "Gasoline is too volatile a substance for citizens to handle..."

So instead we let all the indians and middle eastern folks who just came off the boat pump it, and drip it all down the side of my car.

I just pump it myself..... F -That
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
...and people wonder why other countries are kicking our butts

Op, solution: Don't get gas in New Jersey/Don't go to New Jersey. It's what I do!

If you can load a 89 tune back on, do that and run the gas out. Then retune and refill. If not, driving like a granny until you can burn a lot of it off and then go get yourself some good gas should be fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
I probably send 100 emails a day. On occasion, I send it to the wrong person, or forget an attachment. Not sure we'd say its "sad". The guy probably fills up hundreds of cars a day. Give him/her the benefit of the doubt that it was a slip up, especially considering that MOST people coming in are asking for regular. Yeah it sucks, but everyone has a bad day and I'm not sure it signifies the decline of western society .

Quick Reply: Stupidity Strikes again 87 fuel 91 tune?!?!?!?