clearcoat damage on rims repairable? - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
05MineralGrayV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 718
Default clearcoat damage on rims repairable?

found a set of rims the polished 18" bullits with newer tires on craigslist for a good deal these are the specific rims that i want but there is some clearcoat peeling on them is it repairable or should I just wait for a set in better shape to come along?

clearcoat damage on rims repairable?-clearcoat.jpg
05MineralGrayV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member
 
kevinmalec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 3,666
Default

I don't know that much about wheels. Maybe call into a local tire shop and ask them if they are able to repair and what the cost would be.
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 738
Default

Those look like the stock rims. Or at least they look like my stock rims. I've got a set sitting in my warehouse, two with NT555's on them in decent shape and 2 with blown g-forces (threads showing).
gmoran1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
edcologne
2nd Gear Member
 
edcologne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 212
Default

my favorite wheels.

take a look at the wheels, i have a hard time believing that the clearcoat peels without them being scratched (curb) in the first place or worse, salt damage.

they can be reconditioned but thats usually (if done good) fairly expensive.

depending on the condition impo i'd wait to find a nice set.

i guess nice used ones will get harder to find but they are out there, i see sets on ebay frequently.

look at some on others cars, they will probably all show a little scratching or curb rash, walk away a few feet and see if it bothers you, it really physically hurt me when i barely scratched one of mine at a curb (first and only time, i hope).

i bought mine early last year off craigslist with orig tires from a guy who took them off for custom wheels early, stored in garage.
edcologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member
 
03gt04mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Acworth,Ga.
Posts: 812
Default

Sometimes to repair a wheel costs more than a new wheel, or close to it. Our Mach1 wheel got damaged. The repair cost would be 325.00. New wheel from the dealer was 125.00. So, you know which way we went.
03gt04mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
edcologne
2nd Gear Member
 
edcologne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 212
Default

looks cheap, probably not up to my standards but may help someone els.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-18x8-5...item19cd5e8df9
edcologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator
 
pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 13,321
Default

If they're "polished", then they're not cleared.
Someone did that and they fugged that job up.
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
edcologne
2nd Gear Member
 
edcologne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal View Post
If they're "polished", then they're not cleared.
Someone did that and they fugged that job up.
all stock ford "polished" wheels and most aftermaket wheels are actually clearcoated.
actually on these i would call the finish semi polished, its not high gloss/chrome like, suits my taste well.
edcologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
05MineralGrayV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcologne View Post
my favorite wheels.

take a look at the wheels, i have a hard time believing that the clearcoat peels without them being scratched (curb) in the first place or worse, salt damage.

they can be reconditioned but thats usually (if done good) fairly expensive.

depending on the condition impo i'd wait to find a nice set.

i guess nice used ones will get harder to find but they are out there, i see sets on ebay frequently.

look at some on others cars, they will probably all show a little scratching or curb rash, walk away a few feet and see if it bothers you, it really physically hurt me when i barely scratched one of mine at a curb (first and only time, i hope).

i bought mine early last year off craigslist with orig tires from a guy who took them off for custom wheels early, stored in garage.
I would guess salt damage i dunno the guys willing to let them go for 300 and they have new tires mounted and the sensors i have actually found them a couple other times in the 500 range but the tires were bald and or a 4 hour drive.
05MineralGrayV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator
 
pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 13,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcologne View Post
all stock ford "polished" wheels and most aftermaket wheels are actually clearcoated.
actually on these i would call the finish semi polished, its not high gloss/chrome like, suits my taste well.
To me "polished" means that you bring the aluminum to a shine (somewhat) like brass, copper etc...without the help of refinishing products.
Are you implying that they put clear over the aluminum?
If so, I didn't know that and I'm not surprised that it doesn't lasts...
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drag Radial's whatsup62 5.0L GT S550 Tech 2 10-16-2015 03:07 PM
Original Owner 1970 Mustang b8checker Classic Mustangs (Tech) 8 10-08-2015 12:55 PM
What other parts should I be concerned about if my pinion bearing went bad? KingRando 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 10-02-2015 08:06 AM
Original Owner 1970 Mustang b8checker New Member Area 3 09-30-2015 07:11 AM
New Product - Steeda S550 Mustang Ultra Lite Chassis Jacking Rails (15-16 All) [email protected] Steeda Autosports 0 09-17-2015 07:57 PM


Tags
2005, billet, clear, clearcoat, coat, damage, ford, mustang, oem, peeling, pictures, rim, rims, salt, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.