Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on a CAI and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Sully06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Deciding on a CAI and Tune

I've been doing some homework and I've narrowed it down to three...Ford Racing, C&L, and JLT. I like the OEM look of the Ford but it seems as though I might be sacrificing performance if I go with it...Maybe I'm wrong. If I am gonna go with one of the other two, I'm leaning towards the JLT. I'm also thinking the Bama Tune. SO.....

Can I really go wrong with any of the three?
If you have a FRPP CAI, have you swapped the disposable filter for a reusable?
Are problems more prevalent with one vs. the others?
How's the fit with them? I don't want to have to rig or modify parts to fit.

Thanks!

Sully
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Go with which one you can afford and like the look of. Performance between the 3 with a good custom tune will be minimal.

All 3 are good. I have a C@L Racer on my 06 right now and I've installed both FRPP and JLT intakes on friends rides, all were quality kits.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

I LOVE my C&L CAI and SCT Tuner. Money well spent!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Tube - Check
Fire Shield/Heat Damper wall - Check
Oiled Filter - Check

If you have an Auto car, you will have to drill a hole for the auto sensor in the Tube on the JLT (Not sure if the others come pre-drilled with a plug, or not). All gear comes with it to 'fit' that hole you drill with the appropriate grommel and attachment to connect to your sensor. (Sounds spooky, it's completely not)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sully06GT
I've been doing some homework and I've narrowed it down to three...Ford Racing, C&L, and JLT. I like the OEM look of the Ford but it seems as though I might be sacrificing performance if I go with it...Maybe I'm wrong. If I am gonna go with one of the other two, I'm leaning towards the JLT. I'm also thinking the Bama Tune. SO.....

Can I really go wrong with any of the three?
If you have a FRPP CAI, have you swapped the disposable filter for a reusable?
Are problems more prevalent with one vs. the others?
How's the fit with them? I don't want to have to rig or modify parts to fit.

Thanks!

Sully
Sully,

The two best performing intakes on the market right now are the JLT and Airaid CAI. Both intakes are constructed of top quality materials and have proven themselves in the Mustang cold air intake market for a few years now. Both are roto-moulded and have large-diameter tubing that allows for about a 30HP gain on 93 octane over stock, when paired with a Bama tune. Both companies also offer top-of-the-line support and customer service.

The Airaid "Race" CAI and the JLT Series III would be my choice if I were shopping for a CAI for my own Mustang.

In reality, all of the intakes are going to nearly overlap each other on the dyno if you test them back-to-back. None of them stand out, in terms of performance. The JLT and Airaid are just always among the "top" performers when we test them back-to-back, even if only by 1 or 2 HP. It's consistent.

Hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any questions or just want to talk Mustangs!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

I 100% concur with Chris (yes I'm using an Airaid and his tune on my '11)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
2008MustangGT
1st Gear Member

I have the C&L CAI. The fit and finish is excellent. I would definitely recommend using a tuner with it. You will most likely see uneven idling and poor throttle response if utilizing the "no tune" insert. Get a tune- great product.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I also have the Airaid CAI. That is good info to know. =-)
Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Airaid.

I was going to get the JLT, but after seeing AM's video on the Airaid, I've decided to go with that one.

Also, Chris from AM knows his stuff, and if that's what he recommends, I'd definitely trust his judgment. It's also the same price as the JLT, but you can't go wrong with either one, from all the info I've read about them.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

JLT here. I didn't have to drill any holes as mentioned above, but I have a 2010 model ???. I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Deciding on a CAI and Tune