Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 500 RWHP possible naturally aspirated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Awesome! What series/team?

I am going to the Birmingham Grand Am/Continental Sports Car Series event at Barber Motorsports Park, to be followed up by the indy cars the next day. Can't wait.

Any pointers you could share from the racer's point of view would be great...although mine is a street project. Any race teams looking at the coyote as a race mill?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I too am curious about hearing pascal's point of view, especially on the Cammer engine.
I know the cammer engine is a bit different, for example, the Cammer is much closer to the true 5.0L displacement, it displaces 305ci, where the Coyote is just a tad over 302ci. The Cammer has a different stroke from the Coyote also.
As for the heads, I am not sure where the differences lie; this is where I am interested in hearing what Pascal has to speak about. If the heads are very similar or even identical, the mods he uses can possible extrapolate to the Coyote.

However, from the looks of this crate engine catalogue, they indicate the heads on the Cammer is not the same as the Coyote heads. The heads they mention are form the 5.4L GT engine

http://fordpowershop.com/modular-ford-M-6007-R50.php

As far as working the Coyote heads, there is some room for improvement. In the Boss 302 Roadrunner engine, the heads ge CNC work and upgraded valves and exhaust cam. But they are not cheap. Expect to pay $3000 for Roadrunner heads:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-b...adtype=pla&kw=

Last edited by JIM5.0; 02-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Jim 5.0 thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'm not alone on the NA/road race pitch.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I think supercharger/turbo based builds are awesome and generally proven to be reliable. I just think it would be cool to see how far this lump can go on 1 atmosphere.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Something else that would allow the NA Coyote to breach weill into 500 BHP range is direct injection. Ford engineers have said that they designed project Coyote to one day get direct injection. Internet speculations have produced rumors that the direct injectors would be mounted to the locating pads between the exhaust valves. Speculations and rumors guess that shooting fuel here will help cool the exhuast side of the combustion chambe to allow higher compression ratios.

I do not know when the Coyote and Roadrunner blocks will see direct injection, but it will not be far off.
Chevy already has DI in thier V6 Camaros, and especially since the 5.8L Trinity is puping out 650 BHP crank, that might force GM's hand to also move DI into thier LSx engines too, well starting with the ZL1 LSA engine to keep up. And in turn, sooner or later, DI will work its way down to the SS engines too. That in turn could force Ford's hand to mount DI into the Coyote and Roadrunner engines to keep up as well.

Years ago, people asked the same question you are asking about 400 horsepower.
Today, the Coyote does it and so does the Camaro SS LS3. And then some actually.
It will not be long for the Coyote to breach 500 BHP crank straight from the factory, especially with the aid of TiVCT.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

DI was once the stuff of le mans protoypes and engineer coffee talk. Look now at what it has done particularly when combined with forced induction! allows for unreal cylinder pressure previously not seen.

I'd love to see this coyote platform support 500 horses, preferably to the wheel. I'd love to be on the tip of that spear over the next couple years.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

1969 tech.....

This is the head of a boss 429. Can we get tennis ball sized ports in the coyote head? nah. But the point is, how can we maximize volumetric efficiency and use this 4 cam independently variable cam timing technology to push the bar forward?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

What do you know? round exhaust ports in the coyote too.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
2008MustangGT
1st Gear Member

^ Nice FR500GT!!

OP- If you accomplish the NA 500whp let us know!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Razorback Belle

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I must ask, just to be certain, when you shoot for 500, do you mean 500 BHP at the crank, or do you mean at the wheels?

If you mean at the crank, I believe it is very easy to reach 500 BHP with just bolt-ons and no FI or nitrous.
Guys have hit aanywhere from 460-480 at the wheels, which means at the crank, they were making at least 500 BHP.

Their mods: long tubes, x-pipe, cat delete, CAI, intake (like the Boss 302 manifold), cams, and a couple more things I cannot remember.

Oh, and they sacrificed the over 20MPG figure
This.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by albino_coyote
Awesome! What series/team?

I am going to the Birmingham Grand Am/Continental Sports Car Series event at Barber Motorsports Park, to be followed up by the indy cars the next day. Can't wait.

Any pointers you could share from the racer's point of view would be great...although mine is a street project. Any race teams looking at the coyote as a race mill?
That picture is actually of the Homestead race track and is very active in the NASA series (National Auto Sport Association). We entered it 3 times and won the event each time.
That car competes in the GT3 class in endurance races only and the team is VDS Racing Adventures.
The US program/schedule isn't a priority since the car is too competitive here and we can't enter races like the Rollex or Sebring etc...
They don't like the idea of a Mustang beating their precious Porsches so we'd have to either add weight or drop the horse power, fukk that!! Now that we have the car dialed in...
To give you an idea, that car ran a 1:28.9 (fastest lap of the day) at Road Atlanta last December on a tired clutch, lol.
So we are content with racing in Europe (Won the 12hrs of Hungary last April) and Dubai mostly.
We also run a FR500C in the GT4 class there as well...

As far as the Cammer in the 500C, it's a rather tamed mill at 420 ponies but it's bullet proof.
The 500C won the European GT4 championship in 07 and 08 with Eric de Donker and his team at the time. Ford didn't sponsor him for 09 so he moved on another class and car, real shame. Boooooo Ford.
The whole 07 season was done on the same engine and De Donker never opened it up.
VDS bought the 07 car from De Donker and if I remember correctly, it ran two endurance races in 08 before pulling the engine out solely for piece of mind because that mill still showed no signs of fatigue!!! Unreal.

The Cammer in the FR500GT is a different animal... reworked heads and cams and totally different intake from the 500C.
But it didn't do good in endurance here in the States. Ford entered these cars in the Rollex in 07 but the engines blew up at midways.
Since then, we bought all 3 cars that were ever made and had Roush/Yates do the engines entirely (Roush blocks etc...).
Those engine stay together now but it didn't happen on the first try though.
We found out that 700hp NA was pushing it, lol.

But the difference between the Coyote and the Cammer that's in the 500C, is not only the heads but the intake as well. And I believe that it's the most important thing between the two. See pic:

But it won't bolt up to the Coyote's heads...

Quick Reply: Is 500 RWHP possible naturally aspirated?