MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Bad transmission? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/663501-bad-transmission.html)

olvanish 02-06-2012 11:20 PM

Bad transmission?

So I was on the way to school today and I stopped on a red light. Just before that everything was fine-- no noises or clunking or any of that. As soon as the light turned green I hit the throttle (not hard or anything), the RPM went up, but the car wouldn't move. Then all of a sudden it yanked forward and started making some very nasty grinding noise that was coming from where the transmission is. It produced the noise in first and second (i wasn't brave enough to accelerate to where I could get into third, but already had an idea what that was going to sound like). I pulled over and tried putting it in reverse and back in drive-- same result even in reverse. I knew driving it would make things worse so I called AAA and had the car towed to a shop which was closed so I dropped it off at the parking lot they have. What are the chances that it's NOT the auto tranny? The car currently has 54k on it.

Lem-06 02-07-2012 01:58 AM

holy balls, that sounds like some scary stuff.
hopefully it isnt to bad

GhostStrykre 02-07-2012 10:08 AM

that's nuts man.. it unfortuantely SOUNDS like your tranny, or the shifter plates..

i speak from experience... sort of... my 2011 Ford Edge did almost the same thing. i put the gas down and revved, and then suddenly the car decided to shift into 1st and i LAUNCHED out into the intersection.. scary stuff. it also downshifted into first really hard.. like a grenade went off.. fortunately i was covered by the warranty. but it sounds like your issue is similar.

depending on your manufacturing date you might be under warranty. hopefully. tranny work is expensive.. i hope it gets fixed soon for ya!

daredevil95 02-07-2012 04:11 PM

sounds like a $2000 tranny rebuild, search the internet for a used tranny....I seen good deals for around $700.

olvanish 02-08-2012 01:19 PM

Sure turned out to be the transmission. I would complain my ass off, but considering that it went out at 27k on my previous car (honda lol) I don't have one bad thing to say about Ford regardless of what others might say. I was given an estimate of 2500 to get it rebuilt or 1600 to get a used one and install it so I went with option 2. I'm devastated now

Roy_R 02-08-2012 01:29 PM

So, this was a 2006 Mustang GT???

PS. Just read your sig...that is crazy. Any racing or idea what may have caused this?

olvanish 02-08-2012 01:38 PM

Roy_R, Yes, 2006 GT. No racing or crazy driving for the past 3 1/2-4 years. I did drive like a maniac the first year and a half. Just check the youtube link in my sig.

Young_Gun 02-08-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by olvanish (Post 7832603)
Roy_R, Yes, 2006 GT. No racing or crazy driving for the past 3 1/2-4 years. I did drive like a maniac the first year and a half. Just check the youtube link in my sig.

Ha - yeah, did that too.

I think I knocked something loose, too. I have the separator plate rattle and something that knocks when I stop or hit a bump going slow.

Need to get those fixed... Just glad I didn't screw up my clutch or transmission...

daredevil95 02-08-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by olvanish (Post 7832603)

Spot on....great vids....drive it like you stole it!! :)