Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Film?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Film?

These Indiana winters are doing a number on my pain job.

My car is so coated with salt right now that I literally threw a screaming fit when I saw it (I just spent 30 bucks having it waxed because the forecast was a week of clear weather - yeah - clear weather my ***). You could cure bacon on it.

Its also freezing my E brake with these sudden cold fronts, so I either have to warm up for 15 minutes and let it free, or drive it till its free when I'm in a hurry.

I need new E brake discs.

I've heard about films that you can put on your car and essentially all you have to do to clean it is hit it with a hose and maybe a microfiber cloth.

Has anyone else heard of these/know where I can get one?

I'm desperate here. Money is no object. I'll save for as long as it takes.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

i remember seing some film treatment on ferraris, lambos and alike, some vettes too.
i have a hard time though that this helps w winter/freezing, also probably recommended on a new car surface, price may be the equivalent of a winter beater car, don't know, need to search the internets.

i know my share about winter, salt conditions (not anymore an issue for me, just move!)

- anyways, plenty of water all over and under the car as many times as possible to flush out all salt resedue. obviously being careful to keep windows, doors and such dry afterwards if freezing.

- frequent wax will help to keep stuff from sticking to paint, etc, btw, whats keeping you from waxing it yourself?? after a wash and an initial clay say twice a year of course.

- WHY WOULD YOU EVEN USE THE E-BRAKE IN FREEZING CONDITIONS??? just park on a flat surface and keep a gear in, then again, not sure if/how that works w a stick/ignition lock these days, mine is auto and all sticks i had were older.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the beater if you want to keep the car looking nice long term. Darned Rustangs...

At least you have a recent coat of wax between the paint and the salt.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on the beater if you want to keep the car looking nice long term. Darned Rustangs...

I'm going to go rub it off (the salt) with a wet towel - at least - I'm going to get the trouble spots (fenders, ect)
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't go wiping with a towel; you'll do more harm than good. Salt is an abrasive as well as a corrosive and you need to dissolve/wash and rinse, THOROUGHLY.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't go wiping with a towel; you'll do more harm than good. Salt is an abrasive as well as a corrosive and you need to dissolve/wash and rinse, THOROUGHLY.
Got a good tip on how to do that?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Young_Gun

Its also freezing my E brake with these sudden cold fronts, so I either have to warm up for 15 minutes and let it free, or drive it till its free when I'm in a hurry.

I need new E brake discs.
Your problem is that the parking brake cable has some water getting into it. Once it gets cold, the water freezes and jams the cable. Common problem. You don't need new rotors or pads, you need a new parking brake cable.

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I'm going to go rub it off (the salt) with a wet towel - at least - I'm going to get the trouble spots (fenders, ect)
Rubbing it off will scratch the paint and embed it in. You have a good coat of wax on it now, which is there to protect it to begin with. Take it to the spray wash, toss your quarters in and spray the salt off.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
... spray the salt off.
Like any other time you need to remove grime, a good wash with a LOT of irrigation is used to lift the crud off the surface. The soap helps bring the crud into suspension and reduces the amount that gets ground into the finish. A good high pressure wash in lieu of soap is the next best thing, providing a lot of irrigation.

If you pressure wash with soap, be sure to finish it off with a LOT of plain water. Even soap contains sodium (a salt) and left in crevices with road salt will still accelerate corrosion.

Last edited by Nuke; 02-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

AND there's a TSB on the parking brake cable freezing problem.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

+1 on the beater!!!!!!! I have a 91 toyota 4x4 pickup for my DD not much to look at but it takes all the rocks...mag chloride...snow and the crap without a worry...I come home... look in the garage at polished and safe cars!

Quick Reply: Film?