Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

And avoid the $500 MAACO specials. What a joke.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

If you get your paint done at a MAACO type place, you deserve to have the ugliest Mustang in existence. That being said, you should call up your local shops and get some prices, and if you can afford it, check out their work.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I got two quotes to have my car painted grabber blue. Both quotes did not include the engine bay. One quote included door jams, bottom of hood and trunk and the other did not. To have the whole car done without the bottom of the hood, trunk and door jams, it would be $5800. To have the whole car done including the bottom of the hood, trunk and door jams it would be $6600. I'm deciding between new engine and new paint.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I got two quotes to have my car painted grabber blue. Both quotes did not include the engine bay. One quote included door jams, bottom of hood and trunk and the other did not. To have the whole car done without the bottom of the hood, trunk and door jams, it would be $5800. To have the whole car done including the bottom of the hood, trunk and door jams it would be $6600. I'm deciding between new engine and new paint.
This is why I plan on going to automotive school for collision/upholstery to learn myself! :P Anyways, same boat having a black car, except I wanna go white. Thinking GT-500 Front, Rear, and V6 Sideskirts (I'm in minority... but I hate the painted side skirts) so that the bottom is black and the rest of the car white (like the 2010-2012s.) With a Steeda Cowl Hood.. Not sure what I want to do for the spoiler yet, I definitely don't want the GT one but I want something different. Depending on my skill after said schooling, maybe I'll be able to do some metal work and incorporate a ducktail into the lid. We'll see, sky is the limits.

Though, seeing as how you have a black car; not sure if you'd go for the idea but might get away with leaving the engine bay and such black. (not door jams)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
If you get your paint done at a MAACO type place, you deserve to have the ugliest Mustang in existence. That being said, you should call up your local shops and get some prices, and if you can afford it, check out their work.
What is a matter with MAACO?

I wonder.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
This is why I plan on going to automotive school for collision/upholstery to learn myself! :P Anyways, same boat having a black car, except I wanna go white. Thinking GT-500 Front, Rear, and V6 Sideskirts (I'm in minority... but I hate the painted side skirts) so that the bottom is black and the rest of the car white (like the 2010-2012s.) With a Steeda Cowl Hood.. Not sure what I want to do for the spoiler yet, I definitely don't want the GT one but I want something different. Depending on my skill after said schooling, maybe I'll be able to do some metal work and incorporate a ducktail into the lid. We'll see, sky is the limits.

Though, seeing as how you have a black car; not sure if you'd go for the idea but might get away with leaving the engine bay and such black. (not door jams)
I definitely plan to leave the engine bay black. The jams and bottom of hood/trunk will be painted.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Muney2bMade

good lord, $6600. i was thinking in the $1500-$2500 range. no new paint for me!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

an overall paint job is rarely any kind of cost effective "mod" for a car. Consider first the fact that no body shop worth their salt will give you an "over the phone" quote unless they just want to blow you out of the water and get you to go away.

Second, for this, you want a shop that typically does custom work (which will immediately drive up the price), not a production body shop geared towards collision repair. The latter could certainly do the work, and do a quality job, but the former specializes in what you're looking for.

Next, keep in mind that everything, and I mean everything, must come off the car if you want to do an all-over, and the engine bay will need to be stripped if you want to change colors without completely diminishing the value of your car. An all-over color change will generally drop value, though. De-trimming everything will increase the cost.

Finally, every ding, dent, scratch, nick, etc will need to be repaired. Again, driving up the cost of the job.

The last shop I worked out of usually told people no less than $5k before even looking at the car.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Pretty sound argument, Essayons. I had asked this question a long time ago, because I was thinking about changing my color, but then thought maybe just keeping it black but adding some flake or something to make it different. I believe Pascal said $2500-$5000 range. Value of our cars suck period, so if that is someone's issue then.. I dunno. The paintjob is going to cost 1/3 of the value of your S197 anyway.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Muney2bMade
good lord, $6600. i was thinking in the $1500-$2500 range. no new paint for me!
You pay for the quality of the job. I actually found $6600 to be quite reasonable.

Quick Reply: Full body paint job?