Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
an overall paint job is rarely any kind of cost effective "mod" for a car. Consider first the fact that no body shop worth their salt will give you an "over the phone" quote unless they just want to blow you out of the water and get you to go away.

Second, for this, you want a shop that typically does custom work (which will immediately drive up the price), not a production body shop geared towards collision repair. The latter could certainly do the work, and do a quality job, but the former specializes in what you're looking for.

Next, keep in mind that everything, and I mean everything, must come off the car if you want to do an all-over, and the engine bay will need to be stripped if you want to change colors without completely diminishing the value of your car. An all-over color change will generally drop value, though. De-trimming everything will increase the cost.

Finally, every ding, dent, scratch, nick, etc will need to be repaired. Again, driving up the cost of the job.

The last shop I worked out of usually told people no less than $5k before even looking at the car.
Quality information from someone who seems to know WTF they're talking about.

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
You pay for the quality of the job. I actually found $6600 to be quite reasonable.
+1, anything under $5k isn't worth it. 6k to 8k sounds about right to me.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Get your whole car wrapped in vinyl. You can buy the crap for like 300 or 400 bux on ebay and do it yourself. This guy took the time to get all the bubbles out, but hey, if that dont matter, you could just leave em in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDH7s_Sn6Ac

This is a joke BTW. Dont wrap it yourself. You'll end up looking like a dbag.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Dylanjunk
2nd Gear Member

a couple of local shops have quoted me 3000 for it and thats with a good quality job... one of my dads friends buddy painted my car and said if i wanted the entire car painted one day it would only be 2000-2500... you may want to try it yourself. if you have the space and time of course
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Dylanjunk
2nd Gear Member

where are you located in oklahoma i may be able to link some of the shops. ones in guthrie and the guy i had paint my car is in north okc, but im not sure if he'd be available
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Anything below $5K I won't touch, not worth my time...
Just a year ago, it was a little cheaper but the price of materials is just to great nowadays.
A pint of quality base coat is close to a 100 bucks and beyond that it it's red, lol.
You'll need a gallon to spray a car with jambs, trunk etc.. so you do the maths.
And then you still have to buy reducers, clear, catalyst...
A roll of 2" tape is about $4 to $6 and on and on, lol.

The worst part is that paint (sold in the US) is really of poor quality these days.
Thanks the @ssholes in Washington for that one...
The EPA made the manufacturers remove or lower drastically all the good stuff that you need to withstand the element so you're left with something that takes forever to hardens (couple of months) and will be shot in 3 years when left to the daily environment.
The 90s were the best time for quality stuff...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
jakegoku
1st Gear Member

This makes me sad
Seems like I'll never be able to get a custom paint job
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everyone else,I had a car painted a few years back,it was a huge old 65 belair and that ran 7500 dollars but they had to do a few other minimal things.
Safe bet to get a good quality paint job shouldn't be any less than 5k.For that 5k It should include under hood and trunk plus jams though.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Anything below $5K I won't touch, not worth my time...
Just a year ago, it was a little cheaper but the price of materials is just to great nowadays.
A pint of quality base coat is close to a 100 bucks and beyond that it it's red, lol.
You'll need a gallon to spray a car with jambs, trunk etc.. so you do the maths.
And then you still have to buy reducers, clear, catalyst...
A roll of 2" tape is about $4 to $6 and on and on, lol.

The worst part is that paint (sold in the US) is really of poor quality these days.
Thanks the @ssholes in Washington for that one...
The EPA made the manufacturers remove or lower drastically all the good stuff that you need to withstand the element so you're left with something that takes forever to hardens (couple of months) and will be shot in 3 years when left to the daily environment.
The 90s were the best time for quality stuff...
Are you a painter? Have you sprayed WB yet? I've heard from several friends that now that they're used to it, they can't believe they ever didn't want to make the switch.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jakegoku
This makes me sad
Seems like I'll never be able to get a custom paint job
a vinyl wrap is actually not a bad idea, especially if you want to do a color change. Most shops can do the entire car for a few hundred bucks, it protects the paint (if they use decent stuff. Some of it will actually peel the paint when removed), and comes off just as easily when you get tired of it or it fades.

The vinyl is generally good for around 4 years, depending on your local conditions.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Dylanjunk
2nd Gear Member

Has paint really gone up that much? I had it painted begging of summer

Quick Reply: Full body paint job?