Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK cold air intake vs. these eBay specials

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Sokar

Default BBK cold air intake vs. these eBay specials

I've been wanting to get a cold air intake for my 2006 convertible GT for a while, and I've been looking at the usual suspects like BBK and K&N, then I took a look to see what was on eBay.

So, it looks like a BBK intake is like $320, a K&N is around $250 and then you've got some eBay specials like this running for $130:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-...item27c31fa634

Why are the 'big names' so expensive? It seems like a fairly simple contraption. Will I get that much more of a performance boost from a K&N or BBK over something like what I posted above?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the one you posted is Spekter, it is not good.
i would not risk money on a cheap CAI that throws codes and does not work.
then you'll wind up spending more money on one of the big name ones, and end up spending double.
instead, do it right the 1st time.

the big names are expensive bc they work well, and get good power increase.
C&L or JLT is better than BBK or K&N.
most CAI will need a tune, so a CAI/tuner combo is what you really need.
I like the C&L or JLT. JLT is one of the cheaper ones.

but I found a used airaid CAI for $90 on ebay.
if you want to save money, look for a used good one.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Sokar

Great information onederful. I'll be keeping an eye on eBay to see what I can snag.

I've noticed that a few of the C&L ones come with an SCT tuner in the package so you can do your own chip tunning. Very interesting. I'm going to research that more.

Something else I noticed is, on several of the used ones, the part that sits behind the filter like a backstop doesn't seem to be included for some reason. Any reason why that may be? Would installing this without that piece reduce it's effectiveness?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

CAI without a tune is like a beer keg without a tap: it won't work the way you want it to.

A standalone CAI will net you about 4hp. Staggering, right? Grab a CAI and a tuner. Like onederful said, you can find a used CAI on ebay, just make sure it's one can be used with a tuner by contacting a company that offers CAI/tune combos, just to be doubly sure you're not throwing away your money.

What do you mean, no backstop? You mean no heat shield? The heat shield is generally there to help keep the CAI anchored in the engine bay... Is that what you're asking about?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the above posts. Save up and get a combo tuner/CAI from AM. The tune is much more important than the CAI.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Sokar

Originally Posted by MadStang40
CAI without a tune is like a beer keg without a tap: it won't work the way you want it to.

A standalone CAI will net you about 4hp. Staggering, right? Grab a CAI and a tuner. Like onederful said, you can find a used CAI on ebay, just make sure it's one can be used with a tuner by contacting a company that offers CAI/tune combos, just to be doubly sure you're not throwing away your money.

What do you mean, no backstop? You mean no heat shield? The heat shield is generally there to help keep the CAI anchored in the engine bay... Is that what you're asking about?
Yeah. That's probably what it is. A heat shield. The piece that sits behind and under the filter. That would make sense. I don't know why some of these on eBay are going without the heat shield, but I've seen a couple that was nothing more than the filter and pipe to the throttle assembly. Makes me wonder what else they may be forgetting to include.

I'll keep looking and keep in mind the tuner. Like I said, I've seen a good number from C&L that have a tuner included.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

JLT and a tune.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't bother with a stand-alone CAI unless you're doing it just for the look. Little to no power gain and even a no-tune required CAI is known to throw a CEL for running lean (which can eventually damage the engine). The tune is where it's at for power and the CAI simply augments the tune.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

As has been mentioned, a good CAI requires a tune. I have this combo on my 2006 GT and it works great! (30+ hp)

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...sct-tuner.html
Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sokar
Yeah. That's probably what it is. A heat shield. The piece that sits behind and under the filter. That would make sense. I don't know why some of these on eBay are going without the heat shield, but I've seen a couple that was nothing more than the filter and pipe to the throttle assembly. Makes me wonder what else they may be forgetting to include.

I'll keep looking and keep in mind the tuner. Like I said, I've seen a good number from C&L that have a tuner included.
These ebay specials are just some tubing that happens to have the right bends to fit or has been chopped and is just a straight tube - with some hose clamps - the most expensive part of these kits are the filter itself.. As mentioned many don't even include a heat shield!

That is the big difference; parts built to a certain specification, or just some parts cobbled together that happen to 'sorta' work as well - on a fair weather day..

The before-mentioned 'good' CAI's are form fitted with heatshields, to reduce engine bay heat, made with better product to 'withstand' heat, and are tested and backed by reputable aftermarket names you won't find 'only' on Ebay.

That's the $100+ difference. To some that doesn't matter - to some it does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK cold air intake vs. these eBay specials