Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CAI w/tune question

Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Default New CAI w/tune question

Installed my new JLT3 CAI with the 87 tune yesterday and absolutely love it. I noticed right away the sound difference along with more POWER!! Went through the rest of the 87 octane I had and changed over to the 93 today. Effin-a its so nice. However, I did notice a new noise and I'm not quite sure how to explain. I hope some of you have the same sound and its just normal.
The best way for me to describe it is, its like a diesel sound. I only here it on occasion and at lower RPM's. Its almost like I have bad gas and the engine is ... pinging, or has a ting. I don't think I could get a sound clip if I tried.
Any of you have a similar noise?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I hope it's not pinging...how many times did you fill with 93 prior to the tune switch? I would suggest reverting back to the 87 until a few 93 fill ups have occurred. Also see if the noise goes away when you switch to the 87. Not worth ruining the engine.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I failed to mention it did it with the 87 as well.
Today was the first time I used the 93. I drove 95 miles with it today hoping maybe to burn off whatever 87 was left in the tank. Im going to run with the 93 for another tank or so and see if the diesel sound subsides. Like I said, its only at low RPM's, below 2000 and mostly when calmly shifting.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Agree with the above, run some 93 gas before switching the tune to 93.

I have had the JLT3 w/ Bama 93 tune for a few months and have had no issues. I have run 93 gas since I bought the car though.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Did you disconnect the neg battery for a bit to reset the idle and fuel trim strategy.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
Today was the first time I used the 93. I drove 95 miles with it today hoping maybe to burn off whatever 87 was left in the tank. Im going to run with the 93 for another tank or so and see if the diesel sound subsides. Like I said, its only at low RPM's, below 2000 and mostly when calmly shifting.
Switch back to the 87 tune ASAP...you should not run the 93 tune until all residual traces of the 87 octane are removed from the fuel cell and line! Run a full tank of 93 and THEN load the 93 tune...CMON MAN!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Switch back to the 87 tune ASAP...you should not run the 93 tune until all residual traces of the 87 octane are removed from the fuel cell and line! Run a full tank of 93 and THEN load the 93 tune...CMON MAN!
Wow.

To the OP, good post IMO. I just bought a CAI/Tuner as well and should be installing it in the next few days. I'm glad you posted this as not everyone on this forum is car savy. The only reason I had any idea what your issue was, is due to owning a motorcycle and knowing what happens when I run 87 instead of 91 (don't have 93 in CO). My Buell's V-twin still pings a bit running 91 though .
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
Did you disconnect the neg battery for a bit to reset the idle and fuel trim strategy.
No. I followed the provided instructions included from AM.

Originally Posted by mayo
I put 14 gallons of 93 in this morning. I thought maybe that would of been enough to absorb the remaining 87 out.

Like I posted before. It made the same sounds with the 87 tune. None the less, back to the 87 tune I go.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
You may want to switch gas stations as it seems to me that if the 87 tune was pinging you're filling up with poor quality gasoline. Also, I still suggest reverting back to the 87. Possibly contacting the place you ordered the tune from and getting that Race tune rated to 91 octane (still fill up with 93)for safety. Just my suggestion.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless you're running the tune WOT or the tune is bad or the 93 octane fuel isn't up to par, there's no need to worry about a gallon or 2 of 87 mixed in with the 93. The PCM will make enough of a minor adjustment to compensate. But I WOULD contact who wrote the tune and mention to them about the change in low RPM engine noise.

I'm glad you started with the lower octane tune. I usually preach to start with the lowest and "play" aggressively with each tune as you step up in octane. Each tune has it's own characteristics and you may find that your driving style and location are not suited for the 93 tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New CAI w/tune question