Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford racing 9mm spark plug wire set?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM
hueyhy

Default ford racing 9mm spark plug wire set?

I see one seller selling the wire set. but his car seems to be a before-04 model.
his wire set seems have 8 wires. (for GT?)

can those wire set be used in my V6 S197?
going to change the spark plug, wires and coil pack. don't know if the wires need any specific fitment. don't know how the wires connect to the coil and the spark plug. are they universal?(as long as the length will fit)

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 AM
JimC

I just picked up some new wires from the local O'Reilly Auto Parts and no problems. I had some issues with a different set of "performance" wires. I wouldn't go for that set from an older Mustang - too much trying to figure out what wire to use where as far as the lengths, may not have the lengths you need, and the may not connect the same. The spark plug end needs to clear all of your exhaust and the spark plugs are pretty deep inside the opening.

As far as spark plugs, stay with the stock autolite 5143's. There is no need to spend a lot of money on the spark plugs and the high dollar ones won't give you any better performance. There is at least one out there (can't recall the name) that actually did some damage to a friend's car when he used them - the electrode hit the top of the piston.

Why are you replacing the coil pack? The stocker is good and runs for a long time. I didn't replace mine until 150,000 miles and I'm still not sure there was a problem with the old one. If you are looking at the Screamin Demon, most have said save your money.

Last edited by JimC; 02-22-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I bought the 8mm wires for my 05 V6 offered by American Muscle. Also replaced the plugs with stock ones from the dealership. No problems and everything works great. I wouldnt bother with the coil pack, or at least try the wires & plugs first
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by hueyhy
I see one seller selling the wire set. but his car seems to be a before-04 model.
his wire set seems have 8 wires. (for GT?)

can those wire set be used in my V6 S197?
going to change the spark plug, wires and coil pack. don't know if the wires need any specific fitment. don't know how the wires connect to the coil and the spark plug. are they universal?(as long as the length will fit)

Thanks.
Stick to a set for your specific car.

Universal sets are often too long or if they have ends you terminate yourself, can be unreliable for a DD. Also the ends may not have the proper angles to avoid sitting on things you want to avoid (like the exhaust manifold).

Don't mess with the ignition coil unless there is a problem with it. It's a very reliable part and more often than not, people that have changed them for an aftermarket one have ended up with problems they never had before.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
hueyhy

Originally Posted by JimC
I just picked up some new wires from the local O'Reilly Auto Parts and no problems. I had some issues with a different set of "performance" wires. I wouldn't go for that set from an older Mustang - too much trying to figure out what wire to use where as far as the lengths, may not have the lengths you need, and the may not connect the same. The spark plug end needs to clear all of your exhaust and the spark plugs are pretty deep inside the opening.

As far as spark plugs, stay with the stock autolite 5143's. There is no need to spend a lot of money on the spark plugs and the high dollar ones won't give you any better performance. There is at least one out there (can't recall the name) that actually did some damage to a friend's car when he used them - the electrode hit the top of the piston.

Why are you replacing the coil pack? The stocker is good and runs for a long time. I didn't replace mine until 150,000 miles and I'm still not sure there was a problem with the old one. If you are looking at the Screamin Demon, most have said save your money.

my car is about 140k+ miles, that's why I think maybe i'll have the wires, spark plugs and coil pack replaced.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
hueyhy

Originally Posted by Derf00
Stick to a set for your specific car.

Universal sets are often too long or if they have ends you terminate yourself, can be unreliable for a DD. Also the ends may not have the proper angles to avoid sitting on things you want to avoid (like the exhaust manifold).

Don't mess with the ignition coil unless there is a problem with it. It's a very reliable part and more often than not, people that have changed them for an aftermarket one have ended up with problems they never had before.
thanks.
so you think i'm fine with the coils even the mileage is very high?
don't really know much about it but the mechanic see my wire and said i need do a tune up.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by hueyhy
thanks.
so you think i'm fine with the coils even the mileage is very high?
don't really know much about it but the mechanic see my wire and said i need do a tune up.
Wires yes, coil no. It's not considered a "wear" item like plugs and wires are. A coil is also not part of a tune-up. Wire, plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter are.