Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate in texas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Default Front license plate in texas?

I know it is required but I see tons of people without front license plates especially on mustangs/corvettes/camaros. I know that if you have a specialty car not designed for a front plate you do not need one. Does anyone know if I put this on my car-
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...lack-pony.html if the cops would harass me? Also when I get my GT front bumper with painted GT/CS lower valance I would deff not be putting a plate on it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
SyberSaint

Mustang0672

I live in Universal City, and the UC Gestapo here prowles the streets and show NO mercy. I have had two tickets here my area. I say that you find a way to mount a front plate without jacking up your bumper. State Troopers are even worse so take heed and put your plate on.

Syber
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you will get messed with.
Most cops and State Troopers could really care less, but it is a reason to pull you over. Been pulled over at least 20 times with the plate suction cupped to the windshield, 2 troopers told me I really should put it on the bumper, and I got a ticket from a cop in Houston. Or rather, my friend who was driving it with me in the passenger side got the ticket. That cop was just a dick though, hassling us. Followed us for over three miles, then when we parked at Walmart, he blocked us in and turned his lights on. Just looking for a reason to issue a ticket, he wrote one for the plate not being displayed on the front most part of the bumper.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Does anyone know how well the flip down plates work? I would imagine they would flutter in the wind scratching up paint?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

theres a guy over on fnsweet forums that makes one that is permanent but does not require drilling. From what I read, he did a good job with the bracket, ensuring not metal was rubbing your paint and whatnot and has good reviews.

Also, theres a retractable one as well. I have not really read into the customer reviews but, I think they even sell it at American Muscle so theres probably tons of customer reviews.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

If I ever move back to Alaska I'll buy this bracket for my front plate: http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ But most cops here in Texas don't know that Alaska is a front plate state so I just keep it in the seat pocket.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
If I ever move back to Alaska I'll buy this bracket for my front plate: http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ But most cops here in Texas don't know that Alaska is a front plate state so I just keep it in the seat pocket.
So you're running Alaska plates in TX then?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Technically, the "current law" only requires a "valid registration". A house bill passed which didnt address the plates properly, and language about 'front of vehicle' and plates in general was removed:

According to HB 2357, Section 502.473, the law requiring front plates was REDACTED!
http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2011/tx-hb2357.pdf
Scroll to page 171 for the excerpt.

There's a local guy who's taking a no-front-plate ticket to court, and we're all waiting to see how that comes out.

I see that as a temporary situation and prefer to avoid additional causes for getting pulled over. As such, I have a bolt-on quick-remove plate mount that I made and I install when I want to display a front plate. No bumper holes.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

theres a guy over on fnsweet forums that makes one that is permanent but does not require drilling.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I run no front plate.
Instead I ordered a bracket from Americanmuscle and never opened the package and threw it in the back seat.

I've been pulled over twice and let go because I show them the package and tell them that I just got the bracket in and am mounting it the first chance I get.

Quick Reply: Front license plate in texas?