Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking Mustang again

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default Rethinking Mustang again

Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a V6 stang when my genesis coupe lease is up this summer, then I heard about that guy blowing up his driveshaft so I thought not a good idea. Plus I was waiting for info on the new genesises. Now I hear they are upping the power quite a bit, but there is going to be a 2k price increase, ouch. But after thinking about it, I guess you don't have to go over 120 and you could always upgrade the shaft. Looks like the Mustang will be down about 40hp to the new 3.8 from Hyundai, but after some searching I found that some guys from one of the tuner shops installed a CAI and bama tune along with an axel back and headers and they dyno'd around 312hp, wow! That's about 368 or so at the crank and considering the V6's weight, that should put it real close to a stock GT's time to 60 and maybe the quarter. Throw in some underdrive pulleys and a lighter shaft and I don't know...sounds tempting. Only thing is trying to find a base stang with the 18" wheels and upgraded gears. I'm not sure if the performance pack is really needed if I don't plan on tracking it or not?I just want something for a dd that will at least hang with the big boys if needed and be fun.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

1 bad experience with a driveshaft and you're swayed?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Well no, but it made me think about it and consider some other cars, but I haven't heard of any other incidents with the newer models so now I'm thinking it might have been an exception and not too common of an occurrence.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

So many read one issue on the net and the car is bad for ever....every car can be found to have issues when cruising the net.

You better get a GT to hang with the big boys....but then again, someone always builds a bigger one so maybe a Boss or GT500, or..... Plus there is a torque difference that you have not figured into your equations. On the other side, enough money will make any car fast.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Bobcat, look at TSBs for both cars before you make a decision. Problem is with the new Genesis, it'll be a new motor and I'm assuming a new body? We all know that there's always problems with the first year of production.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

The 6ers shafts are weak but that isn't a reason to shy away. Its a realtively a cheap fix considering the benefits. The real question is do you want another foreign car or do you want an American legend. I know I am biased but a real wheel drive American muscle car. Who could resist
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
JimC

In addition - that guy is the one who removed the speed limiter on his car, ran it up to 135+ (on what appeared to be regular streets) - so was beyond the design tolerance for the driveshaft, and probably for his tires as well. So the problem was caused by him defeating the limits that Ford put on his car.

How often do you plan to drive over 135mph?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
In addition - that guy is the one who removed the speed limiter on his car, ran it up to 135+ (on what appeared to be regular streets) - so was beyond the design tolerance for the driveshaft, and probably for his tires as well. So the problem was caused by him defeating the limits that Ford put on his car.

How often do you plan to drive over 135mph?
JimC pretty much says it all.. If you start to test the limits of your car sometimes bad things can/and will happen..
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

You can have a problem with any car, especially Hyundai!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
GW6
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about 1 story of a driveshaft burning up. If you come on the forum and see post after post about something then I would be concerned.

I had to look up what a Genesis is. It looks like a knock-off of a G35. Let's compare a couple of quick specs.

2012 Genesis V6 3.8 (Manual) @~$34k
HP: 348@6400
Torque: 295@5300
Gears: 3.72
MPG: 18/27

2012 Mustang V6 3.7 (Manual) @~$25k
HP: 305@6500
Torque: 280@4250
Gears: 3.31
MPG: 19/29

Add $5000 for a Procharger and bump the HP up to 475 and you're still ~$4k less than the Genesis. That leaves room to pay for the install and buy wheels or whatever. You might even be able to get the V6 Mustang up to the Genesis numbers with just a CAI and tune for less than $1k. The Genesis is also about 400 lbs heavier than the Mustang. I'm not an expert on the V6 motor but you gotta figure out what you want and look at all the variables. Heck, for $34k you're in the Mustang GT price range. Plus the two cars look entirely different in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Rethinking Mustang again