Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do turbos produce so much HP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Dylanjunk
2nd Gear Member

Default why do turbos produce so much HP?

it just occured to me that most mustangs that push over 1000hp use turbos. i cant think of any s/c stangs that are making that much, so why do turbos produce so much hp?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dylanjunk
it just occured to me that most mustangs that push over 1000hp use turbos. i cant think of any s/c stangs that are making that much, so why do turbos produce so much hp?
Because they use otherwise wasted exhaust gas to turn the turbo and make power. With a supercharger it uses a belt to drive it and that is more parisitic lag on the motor, with a turbo you don't have that issue.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

So first of all, you need to know how they work..
here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Only the real drawbacks of big turbo setups like that will typically involve not having a lot of "daily" usable power down low. A blower gives you big torque right off the line.
Also, turbos can get really hot (exhaust gases, and spinning faster than s/c), turbo timers basically let the engine run for a minute extra when you park to let the turbo cool down

Both have the pluses and minuses...just depends what you want to use it for
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Because they use otherwise wasted exhaust gas to turn the turbo and make power. With a supercharger it uses a belt to drive it and that is more parisitic lag on the motor, with a turbo you don't have that issue.
I thought it the lag issue was the other way around. You get lag with turbos because the engine needs to be producing enough power, therefore enough exhaust, to turn the turbine to a speed that it will actually increase horse power. Therefore, the low speeds and take offs have a lag time before they kick in. Hence the reason that Twin turbos are set up in a way that one is more for lower ends and the other is for higher end rpms.

Whereas, SC work right away because they are tied to the engine with a belt.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I thought it the lag issue was the other way around. You get lag with turbos because the engine needs to be producing enough power, therefore enough exhaust, to turn the turbine to a speed that it will actually increase horse power. Therefore, the low speeds and take offs have a lag time before they kick in. Hence the reason that Twin turbos are set up in a way that one is more for lower ends and the other is for higher end rpms.

Whereas, SC work right away because they are tied to the engine with a belt.
He isn't referring to turbo lag, he is referring to the parasitic draw on the engine from the S/C.

The belts on the front of the engine turn the S/C, therefore requiring power from the engine before it hits the drivetrain, resulting in a loss of power to the drivetrain by having to turn the pulley on the S/C.

Turbo's use exhaust gas, which has already transfered it's energy to the drivetrain, resulting in no parasitic loss but still increasing horsepower.

The downside is turbo lag, the engine has to get into the higher revs to put out enough exhaust gas pressure to spin the turbine fast enough and build enough static pressure to build boost.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
GT/CS_2011
1st Gear Member

Ford says on the 5.8 it takes 100hp to drive the s/c
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

TS or roots type SC can only use so much boost, then it doesnt get any more HP.
Centris can make tons of HP.
guess whats on John Force's Mustang? a huge SC!

this is my friends Mustang.
2000 HP. with a F1 procharger.
its not a DD. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTDkuABgks
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

autocraft and the supersnkaes have all made it over a 1000hp with a supercharger, plus top fuel uses supercharger and they are estimated at around 8000 hp.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Turbos make more crank and wheel horse power b/c they produce more torque. You drive torque, you buy HP! lol.

Torque is the ability to do work. HP is how FAST you get that work done.

On the neverending debate of which is better, Turbos are more efficient and less troublesome that SC typically. That isn't to say that either can be trouble-less/troublesome. There is a reason that most factory-boosted vehicles are turboed. Effiency, gas mileage, and less prone to cause problems at lower power levels.

It all comes down to what you want for YOUR car. Instant, almost linear power (SC), or n/a cruising and mpgs with big power when YOU want it (turbo).
I'm a diesel fanatic, and I LOVE turbos! (It's also a LOT easier and cheaper to rebuild a turbo and/or upgrade the internals that it is to do the same to a SC.)

Quick Reply: why do turbos produce so much HP?