MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   So... my 2012 GT (6mt) decided it would go WOT and STAY OPEN while taking off!!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/665932-so-my-2012-gt-6mt-decided-it-would-go-wot-and-stay-open-while-taking-off.html)

r00st 03-04-2012 12:34 AM

So... my 2012 GT (6mt) decided it would go WOT and STAY OPEN while taking off!!!

It was wet and my buddy was next to me at the stop light. Knowing I would mostly sit and spin I launched semi-aggressively with TC off (not a clutch dump just aggressive start, mashing the pedal at 2k rpm). I punched it WOT into second and when I let off, the THROTTLE DID NOT! I immediately pushed in the clutch (WOT into second on wet pavement with TC off = almost spun out into a curb). After clutch was pushed in it was still bouncing off the limiter so I had to tun the key off to kill the motor. I restarted and all was normal.

Anyone else experience this? I am still getting used to a RWD stick car with this much HP and to have this happen is NOT COOL!

I am going to take it to the dealership ASAP to have them look at this. I drove around another half an hour tonight opening it up once to try and replicate the problem and NOTHING.

I originally thought the pedal got stuck on my rubber floor mats but then realized that would not make sense as turning the key off would not make the pedal break loose from the mat. I also checked and there is an inch of clearance between the mat and the pedal so it is definitely something in the throttle by wire setup.

Buchez09GT 03-04-2012 06:50 AM

Nice save. Glad you and your Stang are ok. Hopefully the dealership can figure out what happened and correct it. Have you checked to see if there are any TSB's on this issue?

Nuke 03-04-2012 07:21 AM

Toyota envy?

moosestang 03-04-2012 08:52 AM

You are supposed to call 911 and speed through intersections at 100+mph. Eventually ending in a deadly crash.

How dare you use common sense!

2011GrabberFL 03-04-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 7863228)
You are supposed to call 911 and speed through intersections at 100+mph. Eventually ending in a deadly crash.

How dare you use common sense!

I lol'd :D

OP... nice save on the car, alot of people would have gone into panic mode and probably hurt themself or someone else.

To the problem, i have never heard of that happening, i hope the dealership can find something out there for you. Dont let them blow you off about it either if they try to say it was nothing. Keep on them and explore every avenue.

shoeys08dkcandygt 03-04-2012 01:05 PM

Nice save. Def keep us posted on what Ford finds. Never heard of the gas peddle sticking.

r00st 03-04-2012 02:37 PM

I am going to take it in as soon as I can next week! Scared the crap out of me. Luckily there was no car in the lane to my right or when it started going sideways I could have hit them.

What really freaks me out is the throttle by wire setup...I dont think the pedal was physically "stuck" down I think it was an issue with the sensor or wiring. My reasoning for that is if the pedal was physically stuck down then when I restarted the car it would have immediately revved back up to WOT

Andy13186 03-04-2012 03:18 PM

ive never had this happen in my 2011 gt and i got WOT alot

Art161 03-04-2012 03:42 PM

I think Ford has a problem with its drive-by-wire system. I started a thread on this forum a while back. I was stopped with the automatic transmission in Drive and my foot on the brake pedal. When I moved the shift lever to Park, the rpm increased from the normal idle rpm to about 6000 rpm. I blipped the throttle, and the rpm dropped to normal idle.

The Ford dealership could not replicate the problem and Ford Motor Company said it couldn't have happened. But it did.

Jeffk 03-04-2012 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Andy13186 (Post 7863533)
mabe you should disconnect the battery for a while and let everything reset.

ive never had this happen in my 2011 gt and i got WOT alot

Won't that erase any data from when it went WOT?

I would be at the dealership Monday morning. That's scary and you are very lucky that no one was around you. Good save on your part!