Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mickson
essayons- I love your centercap. Was it easy to get on? was getting the old one off easy?
wat? my car isn't on here...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Mickson

Sorry man you were responding to bakerjd's pic. Disregard
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I thought about getting tinted rear lights, turns and headlights and then consulted my cousin who is dating a Denver PD guy, who said that tinted lights were a surefire way to get unwanted attention and prolly a ticket. So I just did the AVS louvers instead and it looks better, more stock IMO with the blackout panel. Sorry, no pics
Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 AM
OrangeandBlue32

Anyone got any info if smoked_taillights guy on eBay is still making them for 05-09?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue32
Anyone got any info if smoked_taillights guy on eBay is still making them for 05-09?
Click this link...

Yes, they are still available.

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-17-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
The lights are going to be easy to see at night because there's that much less interference going on with other light and glare. Daytime is going to be the hardest time to see tail (more importantly, brake) lights through "smoked" lenses, though.

Think about it this way: if you're listening for a pin drop (trying to see a light flash), when would it be easier? When a freight train is passing by, with lots of audio-interference (at daytime)? Or when there's no other sound going on?
Understandable but I assure you it makes no difference. They are clearly visible during the day as well. I'll make a vid to ease peoples minds.

essayons- I love your centercap. Was it easy to get on? was getting the old one off easy?
That's the stock faux gas cap. I removed it and painted it with a flat black paint. It was def. a pain to remove, especially removing the left over adhesive but it was absolutely worth it IMO.

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Same guy did mine, in fact I think I mite have been the one that sent you to him LOL! This guy is a pro at this with quality second to none. If your looking for the best this is the guy to get them from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGjOsfV3ar8

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-17-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by essayons
those are exactly what I'm talking about. Every time you step on the brake, the lights flash.

And it doesn't speak to the "politeness" of the traffic, just the irritation of the damn sequentials lighting up every time the idiot in front of me steps on the brake pedal. The last time I sat behind that I wanted to rear end him just to make it go away. I was in a company car at the time, though.
I'll be sure to stay out of Virginia. You stay out of MA.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I think tail light tinting only looks good on a few colors...that being said, I think yours looks good how it is! Leave it and drop some cash on something else, maybe a billet grill?
Thanks. I have the upper and lower black billet. It's the overlay kit and I was able to install myself. No overheat issues in my climate.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
I'll be sure to stay out of Virginia. You stay out of MA.
aw it's ok. There's already enough a/m sequential taillights here. One more isn't going to hurt me
Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Daytime visibility is the biggest issue. You have 3 problems with tinting tail lights:

1) In bright sun the lights are not bright enough to be seen quickly & easily, especially at the required 200' distance.

2) Any sun glare on the exterior surface of the lens/lens cover will make the lights too dim to see at 200'. Having a matte surface on the outside of the lens cover would help this.

3) The tail light surface is designed with reflex, it is a pyramid shaped surface on the inside surface of the outside lens. Basically, if another car is behind you and they have their lights on, it will make your tail light lens glow as if it were lighted. Adding any tint will reduce or eliminate the briteness of the reflex. The reflex is dimmed by twice the tinting rate.

I am a retired Engineer, I have more than a few years in automobile design & testing, I know what I am talking about, I am not voicing an "opinion", this is based on fact. Matter of fact, I designed a couple versions of the fox body tail & marker lights from the mid to late 80's.
I am pretty sure that most police departments will not ticket you for the tinted tail lights.

But having tinted tail lights and getting rear ended should get you the "at fault" ticket because you reduced the visibility of the OEM safety equipment (lights & reflex). You might get lucky and maybe the cop doesn't notice, but I would not count on it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on tail lights