Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)

I was down at Ft. Benning over the weekend watching my friend graduate from his basic. I figured this would be the last time I would get to see him since he is flying out to Hawaii. (Side note: I'm totally jealous of that.)

Anyway, we all drove back to the hotel where my car was parked. Me and my friend got in my car to drive back to Atlanta where he lives. We are driving as he puts the address into his GPS and tells me the highway is coming up on my left. I looked over at him for a split second saying, "I think I can do that." When I looked back, there was someone in a KIA stopped in the middle of traffic making an illegal left hand turn. I tried to stop, but couldn't in time. The roads were wet, so I slid into her. Turns out doing 30 MPH can do some damage including setting off the airbags.

So I got out of my car and made sure my friend was okay. He had nothing, I just had a few scratches. The people in the other car told me they were fine other than the fact they were shaken up from being in the accident.

So I got a ticket for "following too close". When the police wrote me the ticket he asked if I had any more questions and I asked how they were doing. Apparently they are claiming bad neck/back injuries. That got me pretty mad.

TL;DR version

Got into my first accident. Insurance is going to cover everything so no worries there.

Has anyone had to deal with people claiming neck/back injuries?
How bad will that mess me up insurance wise?

My insurance was going to buy a new stock hood for $1,100, but I said I could get one cheaper. They said they have no problem with that. There was chips on my hood and bumper when I bought it so with a new hood and new paint my car is going to be better than ever.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Things happen, damage could have been worse. That is weird that you got a ticket for following too close. My brother rear ended a tahoe a week ago in his corvette going 45 and didn't even get a ticket. 30mph can do a bit of damage but it could have been like that

Last edited by mustang0672; 03-13-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

I had deal with someone claiming injuries. Insurance (Gieco) took care of everything. I took defensive driving and they did not raise my rate. I was 17 at the time. Oh Forgot to mention they made this claim a year after the accident.

Last edited by Tex-stang; 03-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Your insurance will deal with the other drivers medical claims. IME, from being rear ended, the neck pain doesn't hit till the next day. They will most likely pay them a few hundred bucks for pain and suffering.

Unfortunately, it is almost always your fault in a rear end collision, even if the other drive is doing something stupid. So was this a 4 lane road with no turn lane or median in the middle? I've seen people stop in the left lane, to make a left turn, when there was a perfectly good turn lane right there. People are stupid and anyone can get a drivers license, so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Sorry to hear about the crash but a new hood and fresh paint are good outcomes since no one was seriously hurt.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
So was this a 4 lane road with no turn lane or median in the middle?
Yes, it was 4 lanes. 2 lanes, a double yellow, and 2 more lanes. She was in the left hand lane making the turn. There was no turn lane.

When I was on my phone with my insurance, she said that it was an illegal turn since there was no break in the double yellow line, therefore she shouldn't have been there.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Well your insurance company should be taking care of everything. However, not sure what will happen to your insurance rate. Only time can tell on that one. Situation sucks, but lucky it wasn't worse. Your car will be repaired in due time though, so hope all goes well with that route.

Funny how people are quick to claim neck and back injuries at times. I mean, it could be legit, then on the other hand, could be a simple way for them to collect some extra cash (Drive a KIA may explain it all).

Anyways, glad to see you are ok and the car doesnt seem to have severe damage. Good luck!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
(Drive a KIA may explain it all)
^ This.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
09daytona

Are you sure the police was aware the Kia was making a U-turn? That might explain the ticket.
If a ticket was issued to you then you could be found 100% at fault which in my home state means drop your drawers and grab them ankles, here comes the screwed train. When you get the accident report make sure it is accurate. If not you might want to amend it.

Quick Reply: Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)