Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I love this forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100%. After buying my Mustang I knew nothing about working on cars, with the help of the forums I have done every single mod myself except put my new tires on the rims. This place is an awesome resource!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Like any other car, its seems to be tied to the amount of willpower you have to keep your foot out of it. Some are getting 24+ highway with ease. Other's can't break 17-18. Aftermarket tunes seem to help it appears.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

with an aftermarket tune you can pull around 20city/25hwy if you behave. i believe stock rating is 18/23 for the STi due to its larger turbo.

if you need modding advice or have any questions, feel free to hit me up. I learned a lot about those cars while I had mine.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I have to say this is a pretty friendly place for sure. I like that you can also voice your appreciation for other cars except for mustangs and you won't be flamed to death (unless of course you just solely bash Mustangs)

There are lots of nice cars out there and even though I love my mustang I'm not going to be blinded by fanboism. To be honest I'd love to take a spin in the new turbo 4 banger 3 series from BMW. From what I've heard that thing is a load of fun, and I've never driven a BMW before
Old 03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
the upcoming generation isn't exactly the most educated or bright group to ever grace this country.
Inconclusion, I hate my generation.
Quote of the year so far Mad!lol
Wisdow is acknowledgment, so there is hope.

Oh if i had a dollar for every WRX I can up on with an attitude...makes perfect sense that the forum would follow suit.
Goodluck with the new ride Sig. Not my style, but its hard to dislike from a performance standpoint...they are little beast!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

I've owned 2 Aspen White 2005 STi's...lol. I didn't post much on nasioc. Things do seem generally more accepting here. It's weird. I almost expect to get flamed for starting a topic or posting sometimes.

The 1st one:

The 2nd one:
Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand how someone can draw the conclusion of "I hate that crowd", I mean did you just get a bad vibe from everyone on the forum? Did the entire meet talk about you behind your back? Surely there are some you can get along with

I rode in my buddies 2004 WRX but was pushing around 300awhp (turned up boost, intercooler, intake, exhaust) and was on coilovers. Damn did that thing snap your neck. Freaking blast to ride in.
The only AWD sports car i've driven was a stock mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, 320hp, there's really something about being able to grip that well and handle like its on rails. So much more confidence when mashing it out of a corner, with my blown stang, you need a lot more skills, especially if you want to drift/slide.

Congrats on your purchase... those boxer engines sound like sex. I love the grumble.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I've been into cars and the car scene for a little over 10 years now. I've been a moderator over at hotrodders.com since I was 18. I guess I am a bit sensitive to first impressions of a forum.

In person, all throughout highschool and college, the STI drivers just didn't leave good first impressions. They, along with the EVO drivers, were generally the guys doing 45mph or AWD burnouts in the parking lots of wherever we were meeting.

The cars grew up, and so did I. So I was a bit disappointed after ordering one and hoping on the STI forums to see that the same fanboy "STI beats all" mentality persisted. You can see it even in youtube video comments related to STIs. I'm sure there are some cool STI owners out there, but based on first impressions, their community as a whole does leave something to be desired. The mustang community isn't perfect, but it is far friendlier and more accepting than many other communities I've been apart of. The Jeep forums were overwhelmingly negative as well. LS1Tech was great, but CadillacForums.com were a bunch of snobs. E90post (BMW) are surprisingly pretty cool. You get the occasional snobs, but most are pretty laid back and just excited to make power.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Oh mustang forum, how do I love thee . . . let me count the ways:

I'm in the process of buying a new car. No worries, we're keeping the Stang, but as I sold my Camaro, I need a new daily driver. I love in a hilly area now, that sometimes sees snow, and often sees rain, so the need for 4wd or Awd is present.

I have on order a 2012 STI. Will give me the opportunity to mod, but also the comfort of AWD. I know not everyone here is a fan of the tuner cars, but it has its draw to me being forced induction from the factory.

In any case, I've spent some time over on some of the STI forums. Let me just say, those forums have really shown me what a kind accepting group of people you all are. The amount of dickery and fanboism over there is ALMOST enough to make me cancel my order, for fear of being associated with that crowd.

I somehow went from defending someone's statement, to being the outcast simply because I acknowledged the "enemy" could be correct if he was talking about a different car (the topic was intakes and whether they need a tune or not). One guy said they didn't, with the general consensus for the STI being that yes, you need one. I agreed with the group, but stated that on my CTS-V, most of the available intakes did NOT require a tune. One of the regular guys said he could personally attest that it did, to which I disagreed. He was basing his assumption on the fact that Subies needed one, and didn't actually have first-hand experience with the car, whereas I did. In any case, suddenly I was the "wrong" one, even though I shared the same view as many of them.

Long story short, you guys rock, those guys suck. I'm still gonna get the car, but I plan on driving it with a Mustang owner mentality, and not the magazine fanboy-mentality that permeates the STI scene.
Have you posted that your fun car is a stang and you plan on getting one of them in that forum? If not im sure the flames from doin so would make you never reas there again. Lol
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
I don't understand how someone can draw the conclusion of "I hate that crowd", I mean did you just get a bad vibe from everyone on the forum? Did the entire meet talk about you behind your back? Surely there are some you can get along with

I think he's referring to the forums and not the actual local meets. I've met some great people through the STi crowd, including my wife(who drives an 05 STi) and made some really great friends. There's goods and bads in any groups, but the nasioc forums can be quite vicious.

Quick Reply: Why I love this forum