Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Entry in the Musclecar wars

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I can't believe it. How is Chrysler/Dodge having trouble selling the Challenger? Yeah it a boat for the road but damn they look so good.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My blood runs Ford blue, but I have fond memories of the plymouths my grandparent had as well as my Dad's old Fury. Also had a guy down the street growing up that had a cherry fully restored original Cuda which I always wanted, but heck I was 12. No way I was going to get that car!

I'm glad it looks like it might get a comeback, but it will never beat the original Plymouth Cuda in my book.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Well the new Viper dropped the Dodge branding, so I would assume SRT 'Cuda.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
wow... I'm more excited about the IRS mustang.

Another IRS equipped mustang is coming? I wonder if as many of them will get dropped for live axles like the last time...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 AM
McDirty
1st Gear Member

I'm all for it as a car fan. The original 'cuda has a history of being built on different platforms and went through some pretty big changes in the previous three generations. I have come to accept a four door charger so an all new 'cuda should be fine. It will be ok if it isn't a Plymouth since i always pictured it below dodge and Chrysler anyways even if they did make some great cars in the past.

It seems like the pony car market is only so big. Taking a quick look at the camaro/challanger/mustang sales numbers on Wikipedia it seems like it is somewhere around 150k a year with the mustang in the lead. I feel this has a lot to do with what Ford can offer at various price points. If Chrysler wants to increase their market share they just have to find a way to beat Ford and Chevy at the game.

Is Chrysler coming out and saying the challenger is a failure or did I they already do that and I missed it? If the cuda will replace the challenger as an entry level model will the challenger be repositioned as a premium model or discontinued because I expect this new addition will be cross shopped and eat at already low sales numbers. Which is sad since I do like the challenger. I just felt I could get a better car for what I spent with the mustang.

I would expect the srt brand to be a performance brand with the viper and the company's history using the srt badge. If they can pull this off at an entry level budget that would be awesome.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Uhhh, the camaro is outselling the mustang like 2 to 1 right now...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
I can't believe it. How is Chrysler/Dodge having trouble selling the Challenger? Yeah it a boat for the road but damn they look so good.
Because performance wise, you have to buy the $44000 SRT8 to come close to the performance of a $30000 5.0. I agree with you though they are bad *** looking cars. Last week while having my vehicle serviced at Ford I fell in love with one while walking the used lot. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
But $35k for a used 2010 is too much for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I agree what is killing the Dodge is you really have to drop some major dime to get any performance out of it. They are bueatiful cars. Both the Mustang and Callenger are very good looking unlike that awful Camaro, which is ugly as sin in my book.

Also the same realtive Challenger design has been out for years now, its time for a update. I honestly wish that Dodge could make a Pony Car work but GM and Chrysler group are like the government, they cant seem to learn how to manage money.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I think Chrysler has learned their lesson with the new Challenger - inevitably, it was going to go up against the Mustang (and the Camaro soon after), and could never compete in the same category due to its weight and size, no matter what they did to the SRT8. Great looking car, glad they brought it back, they did all they could being stuck on a modified four door chassis, now it's time for a new direction.

Personally, I'd love to see a Barracuda (even if it's called "SRT Plymouth 'Cuda") come back. I have a soft spot for the 'Cuda, since my first car was a 1971 'Cuda (which is on the market now for $78,000, by the way), and I'd love to see what the new version looks like. OK that it is not as "retro" as the Challenger is, and if it's something along the lines of an Audi S5 or BMW 6 series in size and shape, with GT500 performance and some retro-Barracuda styling cues, I'm cool with that.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
Because performance wise, you have to buy the $44000 SRT8 to come close to the performance of a $30000 5.0. I agree with you though they are bad *** looking cars. Last week while having my vehicle serviced at Ford I fell in love with one while walking the used lot. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
But $35k for a used 2010 is too much for me.
I totally agree. The pure performance driver looks at its design as a hindrance while Ford has done nothing but improve the Mustang. I still can't get over them though. There is a black one with charcoal fender hash stripes in town and I just stare at it and drool everytime I get to see it. In a perfect lottery winnings world I'd own one for around town cruising.

Quick Reply: New Entry in the Musclecar wars