Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Default Painting question

Hello everyone I just bought a couple of goodies off Americanmuscle.com one of which being an unpainted chin spoiler. I plan on painting it myself but don't know what paint I should buy. I want it to match the the matte blackish/grey side skirts already on the car. How should I go about doing this? (ie products/process)

P.S My car is black

Thank you in advance
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

take it to a body shop. The "blackish" rocker mouldings are unpainted textured plastic, you won't match them exactly with paint, neither will a shop.

You can, of course, just get a can of black krylon and go to town.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Approximately how much would it cost to have a body shop paint it? Would it look good if I just spray painted it?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

I dunno, you'd have to check some local shops for quotes. Cost will vary from locality to locality based on labor and materials rates. I wouldn't guess more than an hour or so of labor to paint, so maybe somewhere around a hundred bucks, give or take?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

more than that, probably about 200-300. they have to prep it too. most of the time parts that need painting come with a gel coat thats needs to be sanded and prepped correctly.
all in all about 2 hours or more.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

So I shouldn't paint it myself? Cause i was reading the reviews on AM and most of them said they painted it themselves. I don't need it to exactly match my paint just get a nice matte black color
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

if you just want matte black, then just get a can or two of krylon and do it yourself
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Do you think it would look good? Also would i have to sand it like legendlime said? I could go to a body shop but i feel like I can do it myself and still have it look good, am I wrong?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

It might help if you defined your expectations a little better. Are you wanting it to look factory painted essentially like part of the car? Do you just want it to be a glossy black? Flat black? Match your paint code?

The more you want it to look like the sheet metal and other factory painted parts on your car, the more it's going to cost. Most of that is in the prep work. Prep work is the keystone to good paint. Without it, it's a domino effect and will never look "right." Even if you do it yourself, the cost is in the your time and labor and potentially in the right tools to do the job right.

Krylon does have some plastic paint that I used on a music stand of all things years ago and it dyes the plastic. If you can find a good match with that, you might be in business too.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

My goal is for it to matte/flat black, I don't really want it to match my factory paint (don't really like how that looks) It doesnt need to look expertly done but when you look at it I don't want it to be obvious I did it myself

Sorry for being unclear and thank you for the help

Quick Reply: Painting question