Rear Facing Carseat for the stang..... - MustangForums.com

2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #1  
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Question Rear Facing Carseat for the stang.....

I am in kind of a pickle here and would like some advice or at least a discussion on car seats for mustangs.

My wife has been staying at home with my son for about a year now and there was no need to drive my son in the stang.

Well, my wife decided she wants to go back to work and I will have to help drive him to and from day care.

We know that the stang is less than ideal for this and we spent the day today at dealerships trying to see if I can trade her in(the stang LOL) for something better suited for transporting family.

Unfortunately (well sort of... ) trading in the mustang for a new car makes no sense financially and could leave us in a bad spot so I have to make it work.

Is there any car seat that any of you have found that can be used in the mustang rear facing. My son is a year old and it will stay rear facing until he is at least 2.

any suggestions or questions would be great! Thanks
SirDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #2  
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

I have been looking into this too, but most say they will fit!

I have not yet tried them though.......We Like the BabyTrend FlexLoc at Target!
uin2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #3  
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

All of the Graco products I have used work in the mustang. I did have to lay down a couple towels to help level it out and protect the leather. Just have the wife move her seat a little forward and it'll fit right in there.
darksky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #4  
TheMarco
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky1984 View Post
All of the Graco products I have used work in the mustang. I did have to lay down a couple towels to help level it out and protect the leather. Just have the wife move her seat a little forward and it'll fit right in there.
This is exactly what I do in my '68 Mustang. The lap belts are great to secure the baby seat too

My son has gotten to the point where he gets pissed when he has to go in our family car

btw OP: Your son must be really small? Mine didn't fit in a rear-facing baby seat anymore well before he turned 2 (he's 2.5 now)
TheMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #5  
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I couldn't fit any rear facing seat into the back of mustang. Not a big deal as mine isn't a daily, but I would have liked to take my son out for short cruises when he was younger.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #6  
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Got two kids, 3 and 6. My six year old is in a booster now, so when I have both kids in the car he goes behind me. He can pull his legs up since there is almost no room behind me when I drive. If it is just you and your boy it is simple. Move the passenger seat all the way forward and in the up postion. The seat is almost to the dash. There is plenty of room, and we have the car seat latches that makes getting the seat in and out fairly easy. My daughter and son loves it when I gun it, guess mommy never does that!
Hotwheelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #7  
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

btw OP: Your son must be really small? Mine didn't fit in a rear-facing baby seat anymore well before he turned 2 (he's 2.5 now)
My son is no longer in the car seats that have a base. He is now in those convertable ones. You know the ones that are rear facing at first but then you can turn them around when he is big enough.

That is what I am trying to find, a convertable rear/front facing seat. I know its a tall order... lol.
SirDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #8  
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about the laws in Alabama but when my son moved out of the infant car seat I was able to have him in a 5 point harness, solid back, front facing seat. I didn't buy the seat shown in the picture until he was 30 lbs.

I used a seat like this one until he turned 2 1/2 and I needed to buy a 2nd car seat for convenience sake.
darksky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #9  
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
I couldn't fit any rear facing seat into the back of mustang. Not a big deal as mine isn't a daily, but I would have liked to take my son out for short cruises when he was younger.

Couldn't agree more but the only difference is I have three daughters!
Soldier GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #10  
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I have 2 kids, 4 and 2, and I haul them everywhere in my Mustang. Rear facing is a PITA, but do-able. Now that they are front facing they sit side by side in the rear in their Simpson Racing kid seats. 5 point harness and they look about as cool as a kid seat can look in a Mustang.
ffk_pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote