Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stang is sputtering HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 AM
JP's_05_FLA_Roush
1st Gear Member

Talking My stang is sputtering HELP!!!!

Ok guys, I don't know what happened, but I removed my valve covers to paint them the other night everything went fine, or so I thought.

When I started the car back up, I had the CEL on. I had 2 codes. I read the codes and one (which I don't remember the code#) was about a low idle I think it was reffering to the TPS. The other code was p0104 which is the MAF. I drove the car, and the sputtering happens at low rpms like in 5th gear at 1k and i go to accelerate it will sputter and quckly snap out of it. I have checked the MAF and made sure it was clean. It looked good. I have also checked for a vacuum leak and there are none that I can see. I also read about the plugs and the coil packs being a possible cause . If it is the coil packs how do I figure out exactly which one is the faulty one?

I have done some reading on this and I am aware of the possible causes. I need to know of there are any other possible causes that I might have looked over. I did clear the codes with my tuner so I'm not getting any CEL or codes at the moment. This is driving me abaolutely crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

If it was a coil pack then you would get a misfire code for a certain cylinder. If you're not getting a misfire code then I would suspect a vacuum leak or a sensor left unplugged. Low idle and mass air faults are consistent with a vacuum leak. Double check all of your connections and your vacuum hoses especially around the EGR.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrockgts197
If it was a coil pack then you would get a misfire code for a certain cylinder. If you're not getting a misfire code then I would suspect a vacuum leak or a sensor left unplugged. Low idle and mass air faults are consistent with a vacuum leak. Double check all of your connections and your vacuum hoses especially around the EGR.
The coil would have to fail completely to set a code or misfire so often that the ecm deems it a cat killing misfire. One of my Accel coils wasn't working right and it never set a code. If the coil is just weak, then it may not set a code.

There's no EGR on the GT.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-18-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Double check all the sensors you unplugged. Make sure the cam phase sensors are plugged in all the way. Unplug the MAF and check the pins. make sure you put your intake back on right.

It has to be something you did.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you don't have any wires pinched between the valve covers and the heads, causing a short in the wiring.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The coil would have to fail completely to set a code or misfire so often that the ecm deems it a cat killing misfire. One of my Accel coils wasn't working right and it never set a code. If the coil is just weak, then it may not set a code.

There's no EGR on the GT.

Hmmm, interesting. I thought some of the 05 and 06 GT cars came with an EGR. I know my local parts supplier has a part number for one and it specifies 8th vin digit "H". Who knows. In the OP's case a loose/pinched wire or hose is the most likely culprit anyway.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM
JP's_05_FLA_Roush
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have checked all the connections and stuff, but I agree, it has to be something I did so I will re check everything again. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
JP's_05_FLA_Roush
1st Gear Member

I just wanted to let you guys know that I solved my sputtering issue.

For me it wasnt any pinched wires, bad coils, bad sensors, bad spark plugs, or anything related to connections.

This little issue has been driving me absolutely crazy so I looked everything back over. It appears that I overlooked that I had a small oil leak out of the back part of the right side valve cover. I removed it and reset the gasket. I cleaned all up in the engine bay. Just to make sure I had nothing new leaking. I got everything back in and BAM no sputtering or anything. Smooth as a baby's butt!!! Sorry I'm just glad it was a simple fix and I'm glad my baby is back screaming on the road again.

I just think its weird that a minor oil leak would cause this issue. The only way it makes any sort of sense to me is that the small loss of oil pressure caused the car to be out of timing while under a load. It was only from 1k to 2k. I don't know if the method of my logic is correct but it is the only thing that I corrected. Whatever the method is I don't care. It's fixed and all is good.