Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Defroster Clip Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
womquat

Default Rear Defroster Clip Problem

Hi - I have an '09 convertible. The rear defroster clip on the passenger side came off the window a little while after I bought the car used. The Kia dealer I got if from wouldn't fix it because he considered it "cosmetic". A body shop guy I've used tried Crazy Gluing it back on but since the glue is not dielectric it didn't make a connection. It eventually came off again so I bought a repair kit at an auto parts store. That seemed to work for a while as it actually defrosted twice - then stopped. I did a continuity check and no go. I actually stuffed some bare wire under the clip against the window, and it worked, but in my overzealousness to do good ended up popping the clip off (and the glue was still sticky).

Most glass places don't want to bother with it. A couple said the real fix is to solder it on, but to be careful not to crack the window. I'm kinda a spaz with stuff like that so I'm nervous about doing it myself. Ford wants $140 to fix it, but I don't know what the fix would actually entail. So...

...any ideas?

Thx!
womquat
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Ask Ford how they would fix it......then you attempt if you feel comfortable.

Soldering it would be the best but the heat is tricky with the glass.

Wonder if some of that liquid steel would work. Look at the local auto parts for it. Let some set up and check for continuity before putting on the contacts.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by womquat
Hi - I have an '09 convertible. The rear defroster clip on the passenger side came off the window a little while after I bought the car used. The Kia dealer I got if from wouldn't fix it because he considered it "cosmetic". A body shop guy I've used tried Crazy Gluing it back on but since the glue is not dielectric it didn't make a connection. It eventually came off again so I bought a repair kit at an auto parts store. That seemed to work for a while as it actually defrosted twice - then stopped. I did a continuity check and no go. I actually stuffed some bare wire under the clip against the window, and it worked, but in my overzealousness to do good ended up popping the clip off (and the glue was still sticky).

Most glass places don't want to bother with it. A couple said the real fix is to solder it on, but to be careful not to crack the window. I'm kinda a spaz with stuff like that so I'm nervous about doing it myself. Ford wants $140 to fix it, but I don't know what the fix would actually entail. So...

...any ideas?

Thx!
womquat

welcome to the club
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...le-issues.html
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
JimC

The Frostfighter kit has worked well for me.