Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a blower with cams? I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone have a blower with cams? I need help.

I've had my Hot Rod cams installed for over a year now and I just got around to installed my Vortech V3 non-intercooled kit in January. After installing the blower, I started the car and drove around 10 or 12 times for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. The last few starts were rough and now the car won't start at all. During those last few rough starts you can smell that fuel was being dumped and fouled out the plugs.

Before I go any further with this story, I would like to know if anyone is running aftermarket cams (preferably Hot Rods) with a blower without issues??

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

By blower, do you mean SuperCharger? If so then yes I do. I have a Roush M90 SC and FRPP Hot Rod cams. I've had issues with mine turning over on hills but only once or twice. I have brand new spark plugs so I have yet to get the smell of fuel. I have read that with cams, and supercharger a good battery helps a lot. My battery died once and i was able to get it working from charging it, but they always say itll never work as well as it did. I'm looking into getting the Ultima red top battery for my car and seeing if that fixes it. Otherwise no problems here.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response. Can I ask who tuned your car?

I put a red top Optima in my car last year. Good purchase. No problems.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

I had PPC (Pick Ups Plus Cars) in Columbus, OH custom tune my car. My Hurst right now rattles like crazy cause of the cams haha, so Hurst is sending me a kit to fix the problem. My car sometimes stays at 2k rpm when I first start it up for some reason, AND the idle picked up in lope speed since they tuned it, for some reason, which doesn't bother me. I also gained barely any hp which I found surprising from cams and xpipe. So I'm having them fix my Hurst, and re-look over the tune. If your car isn't tuned that is a big part of why you'll have problems, and with cams and a sc I wouldn't go the email tune route. Have you retuned your car after the cams/sc install?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the tune I have now for the supercharger and cams is an email tune. I am going to get a custom tune done soon but I've been trying to get answers as to why the motor is being flooded with fuel and fouled out the plugs. After being ignored by the company for 2-3 weeks, they told me that Hot Rod cams pull too much fuel at start up and that I should buy their cams to fix the problem.

I'm very frustrated that the same company that sold me the supercharger and installed the Hot Rod cams told me that they can't find any solution to the issues I'm having and that what they would recommend is to take out the Hot Rods and have their cams installed.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I can't help you on the fuel problems. I have not heard of that before. Sounds to me like that places wants to squeeze every cent out of you, with trying to get you to buy theirs. I understand, shops i've tried working with are always "busy" unless you bug them. Its like their opposite of every other type of business. They typically bug you to buy their products, but with auto body shops you have to constantly bug them to get stuff done. Its ridiculous. Did you install the cams yourself? Im wondering if the cams weren't installed correctly. Im assuming you got new phaser bolts since that is basically needed for proper installation of the cams. If you had them installed, how much did you pay for labor, roughly? (If I may ask). Sometimes if its a "too good to be true price", it is. :P
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

I had them installed at Brenspeed. They were running a special on all installs so I think I wound up paying $150 for the labor plus the cost of new phaser bolts.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

That is CHEAP! Wow! I paid a bit more... lol. But knowing Brenspeed, they know how to install stuff pretty good. From what I hear at least. How long ago have you replaced your plugs?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

If your that close to brenspeed then forget about Dirty Moes Tuning Shop and have brenspeed tune it. They are FI experts.
I have Detroit Rockers with a M90. JDM email tune. Tune is almost perfect. Once a month I get a cel for signal stuck rich. Happens at start up, acts slightly funny for a couple of minutes then corrects itself. I also get the damn blinking o/d light once a month too.
To be fair, I got these same issues with my cam tune from brenspeed before I went FI. My car is a finicky bitch.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I might be fighting the same problem, but w/o the blower...

I put in Hot Rods back in Oct... around Dec, on cold start up, bad, bad dead miss and tons of raw fuel out the back.. Will only do this for 10/15 seconds and then runs perfect without any stumble for the rest of the day.

I hit the exhaust with an IR gun right after a dead miss session to find the cold cylinders (the ones missing)... It was definitely 2, 6, pretty sure 8 and maybe 4...

Mines better with higher outside temps. But if I let the rpms drop to 500 while engaging reverse, it'll do it.

Since it clears up and runs perfect after a short while, I'm having a hard time believing it's anything mechanical. Seeing all the raw fuel it dumps out the back, little worried about washing all the oil off the cylinder walls...

Uncharacteristically I haven't been able to get American Muscle's attention.. Usually their Customer Service is awesome. I've called, sent emails with data logs.. Guess I just haven't gotten in touch with the right guy yet...

Have you tried holding it to the wood while cranking it? That's how I get mine to fire when it's real bad.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a blower with cams? I need help.