Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****Faulty S197 AIRBAG!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Default ****Faulty S197 AIRBAG!!!***

So this all happend exactly a month ago while leaving my local cars and coffee (San Antonio) I was getting on the highway had just shifted from 2nd to 3rd and BOOM the airbag deployed with no impact or anything...So I called the stealership (Jordan Ford) bunch of slap dicks and retards BTW....! They tell me to bring it in on Mon and they will see what they can do for me...Knowing the car is obviously out of warranty...Well after fighting with them for weeks I pick the car up and have the RCM sent off to a 3rd party company to have the Data pulled off to show there was no collision and something was wrong with this restraint system...Sure enough I get a call back from Airbag Systems INC. saying it is a FAULTY RCM and the RCM doesn't even know the car is equipped with side airbags...Ford is telling me that if I were not the 2nd owner they would cover it even though it is out of warranty...What kind of B/S is that?? So now im just doing the deed of passing on the word so everyone can be informed and be careful that ford doesn't care that they have FAULTY/UNSAFE "safety" equipment in there car and they don't care...I have found 4 others that have had this identical issue happen to them same bag deployed everything....Also found that they have changed P/n's 4 different times since my 2005 production date...Obviously there is a issue and they know but aren't giving a single F&*k...If you guys know of anyone else that has had a similar incident pleas PM me...

I have filed with a complaint with NHTSA...and hope anyone else who has had this issue would too!

Here is a video of another guy I found with the same issue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arqyOHvwF4
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

It's things like this that really **** me off. Ford knows they are at fault, not you, yet they refuse to make it right. They are a billion dollar company and the amount of money to fix this would be nothing to them. I guess they are trying to make sure they DON'T win repeat customers. Good luck and I'd like to hear how this all turns out.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

That really sucks. I know you're certainly not the first person this has happened to. I'm curious, does your car run normally after this happens? I've thought if it ever happened to me, I'd probably end up cutting the bag out and taking the car to an upholstery shop to have them fill the gap and sew the seat up.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Well im not expecting much to be honest I have spoke with others who have had this happen and they were stuck with the bill in the end...Most just put it on insurance and now have a single vehicle accident where airbags deployed on there carfax
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
That really sucks. I know you're certainly not the first person this has happened to. I'm curious, does your car run normally after this happens? I've thought if it ever happened to me, I'd probably end up cutting the bag out and taking the car to an upholstery shop to have them fill the gap and sew the seat up.
Yes car still run it is just EXTREMELY unsafe to be driving a car with a faulty RCM...(and I would bet many of you are and have been since new) if that bag can deploy on its own whats to say the steering wheel bag couldn't and i could cross over into oncoming traffic...Simple fact is if I can find 4 other people that this has happened to then I KNOW ford has had MANY more come in either under warranty or what have you and they fix it and send them on the way and brush it under the rug so they don't have to issue a recall!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

That Really SUCKS! I would get the old one and hang it up in the front yard with a big sign on it!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
Yes car still run it is just EXTREMELY unsafe to be driving a car with a faulty RCM...(and I would bet many of you are and have been since new) if that bag can deploy on its own whats to say the steering wheel bag couldn't and i could cross over into oncoming traffic...Simple fact is if I can find 4 other people that this has happened to then I KNOW ford has had MANY more come in either under warranty or what have you and they fix it and send them on the way and brush it under the rug so they don't have to issue a recall!!!!!!
I agree with you. I'll bet that scared the crap outta you too when it went off. I was driving and had an accident in which both bags deployed and I was momentarily stunned. I've never shot my 1911 without ear protection, but pretty sure that was as close to as loud...(maybe a .22 in an enclosed space.) I'm sorry this happened to you. Please keep us posted of any updates.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I hit a deer with the center to right front about 3 years ago with my '08. Broke the bumper cover, headlight, grille and bent the hood and right fender and the airbags did not deploy. They replaced the radiator core support. It was quite an impact. Something like $6500 damage.

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 03-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

wasnt there a recall on some of the airbags, if it was a recall issue then they should fix it
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
DPHC13
1st Gear Member

My question is why WOULDN'T they want to fix this mess QUIETLY? This kinda scares the crap out of me. Good luck with this.

Quick Reply: ****Faulty S197 AIRBAG!!!***