Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Default Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.

It was a nice day back, my first day with the car in a week, and I was cruisin'. I wasn't even speeding (about 5 over) for an hour before hand but this one turn came up and I thought "Ah what the hell". Going around a nice little twisty by the river, I took a turn too hard, slid, couldn't slow down or steer out, so I bashed a guard rail. The fender was so twisted in it was touching the tire, the headlight is shattered, my brand new bumper is cracked and twisted, my quarter panel is creased, the door is dented, the rim is bent, the... tire is losing pressure, I have to turn the wheel about 180 degrees to get the car to go straight, and my rear bumper which was freshly repainted is ok except the missing paint. Hell though, I twisted that guardrail pretty bad. Almost pulled a post out of the ground. I took a look underneath and none of the main suspension components seem to be busted, but all of the plastic is cracked and falling out. Definitely not drivable. What's worse is that I can't claim it on insurance because they'll drop me, so I have to come up with what looks like about 5 grand all by myself because I already owe my parents around 1K and they aren't willing to throw any more money at me. As for myself, I'm ok. Bashed my head against the window pretty hard and lost most of my dignity and pride, but aside from that, I'm alright. I shed several manly tears of pained laughter at the realization that I pretty much got in the same accident under the same conditions as last time. Literally. Last time it was sunny but chilly, 6 months ago, it had rained the day before, and Run Through the Jungle was playing. The only difference is last time I was going the speed limit and was avoiding a squirrel or some other small animal, and this time I was setting a new land speed record. I don't know how fast I was going when I hit the rail but it was a 35 around turn and I was going about 50, which is odd because I've taken worse turns much harder in this car without incident. No air bags, no cops, no insurance, I don't know. I think the worst part is that this is solely my own fault, I can't even blame being tired or an animal. Just a kid overestimating his abilities.

I will post pics when I get them, of course, because right now I have to go bum a ride to school. For now though, have a picture that accurately captures how I feel about this whole thing.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Glad you're ok and sorry to hear about your accident. Maybe you should consider changing your nick to CivicSecondCar?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

It's good that your ok, but the previous comments are right. You shouldn't be driving a Mustang, nor any other car for that matter. 6 months ago and today it's the guard rail, next two times will be the poor pedestrians who just wanted to take a walk.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Ok whelp...time for school. You could have hurt someone else with your antics. You're probably looking for solace here from us, but you'll receive none from me. I am not sorry you've screwed your car up. This was not an accident in the sense that this was a deliberate act on your part. Because of this, other guys in your age group get screwed on insurance when they act in a responsible manner.

Here's the responsible thing for you to do. Before you put a PENNY into fixing that car, repay your parents. Second, before you think about putting a PENNY back into fixing that car, take a real driving class. When I say real, if you're going to drive like a banshee, then maybe it's time you actually spent some time behind the wheel with a pro so hopefully you'll learn the value of other people's lives as well as your own, then have some skill so you can take the car to the track instead of risking other people's well being on public roads.

Lastly, you should have to fix every goddarned broken part of that car yourself and out of your own pocket. Maybe then you'll learn what real respect and love is for that car. If you rebuild it yourself, you'll have a sense of real pride in that car and quit abusing it like that. Having someone else fix it...that isnt going to help you one bit.

Quit being a dummy and crashing your car.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

You're about to get grilled. Bad. Fingers crossed for you. There is always a temptation to do something like that. Sometimes your luck just runs out. Glad you're alright.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I know it's "your fault" but I'm glad you're alright. Good luck to you and please be careful. But I'm sure you already know that, too.

Got a laugh out of D'prived's post though.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you need tires and suspension mods brah.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

How my car handles in curves is always a need to know for me. I bought my car in the winter and Im diving it in curves right now like a grandma til I can get it to the track and test it safely.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

BTW, here's some racing definitions - free of charge.

Tight - a condition that arises when you try to make a turn and you see the wall before you hit it.

Loose - a condition that arises when you try to make a turn and you DON'T see the wall before you hit it.

Cars sold to Joe Q. Public are tight from the factory. You can solve this problem by applying appropriate changes to camber, caster, shock/spring rates, front AND rear sway bars, tire pressure, ride height, and weight distribution. The more capable you make the car of making a turn, the less pleasant the day-to-day ride will be, so you have to compromise.

Let's face it, in the end, it's a STREET car. When you're on the STREET, you HAVE to drive like you have an entire brain. Your life - and the lives of everybody you share the road with - is at stake. You have to also be willing to accept that you're not a living breathing Bud Moore clone. You're just a kid, and you simply don't have the chops to dance on the ragged side of traction and throttle. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but you have to be able to admit that to yourself. This means growing up a little. At that point, you can abandon your career as a crash test dummy.

You're probably too young right now, but once you've matured a bit more, consider attending Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. It's unfortunate that Chevrolet is sponsoring him, but hey, sometimes you're forced to drive less capable vehicles, like the Camaro.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ironh19
none of you can say you haven't done the same thing before.
I haven't, lol. And I'm an extremely aggressive driver. I love whipping around turns..but I'm safe about it.

Only thing I've hit was a parked car (when I was driving my old Buick), i was parking in a tight spot, and had no sleep.
Second thing (in my old Buick again), was a brick sign, because I lost control on some ice and slid into it at like 5mph.

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Sounds like you need tires and suspension mods brah.
Sounds like he'll be getting some now :3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.