Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 base 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Well the dealer didn't even call back so it looks like its a no-go. I think I underestimated how much payments would go up when you figure in taxes and fees and slightly higher insurance rates. I thought about calling that first dealer that had the silver GT since he was asking about $800 less and hope they would give me a little better trade-in, but using the calcs at Edmunds, it wouldn't make that much of a difference as I'd be lucky to get it down in the lower 400's for a GT. Another option is to go back to my first intention of seeing about a 2013 V6 base with maybe only the 3.31. I do like the body style better and they have the upgraded steering wheel and a couple other upgrades. Only problem is there is little if any discounts on these.

I don't know, a girl at work was trying to talk me out of getting a "cool" car and get something really cheap instead for awhile and save some money and then maybe get something better in a year or two with at least a couple grand down payment. That way I could breathe a little easier for awhile and could finally go on vacation or fix some things around the house, ect. too. She said girls don't really care what kind of car you drive anymore (she knows my cool cars haven't really helped me land a gf lately). I tried to explain to her that I like driving a nice car for me mostly and its hard to go back to driving a junker and then you have to worry about it breaking down, ect. btw. she said the V6 was a "sissy's car" and I tried to explain it has 305hp now and she said it doesn't matter and a few days ago she was saying a V6 mustang would still be cool and get decent mileage? I guess I could go with a low payment lease like from Chevy or KIA on one of there budget cars to save some money for a couple years and get decent mileage too. Another idea is to try to sell my car privately and maybe get a few grand out of it, but I'm not sure since its a lease. Any ideas guys?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 AM
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Well the dealer didn't even call back so it looks like its a no-go. I think I underestimated how much payments would go up when you figure in taxes and fees and slightly higher insurance rates. I thought about calling that first dealer that had the silver GT since he was asking about $800 less and hope they would give me a little better trade-in, but using the calcs at Edmunds, it wouldn't make that much of a difference as I'd be lucky to get it down in the lower 400's for a GT. Another option is to go back to my first intention of seeing about a 2013 V6 base with maybe only the 3.31. I do like the body style better and they have the upgraded steering wheel and a couple other upgrades. Only problem is there is little if any discounts on these.

I don't know, a girl at work was trying to talk me out of getting a "cool" car and get something really cheap instead for awhile and save some money and then maybe get something better in a year or two with at least a couple grand down payment. That way I could breathe a little easier for awhile and could finally go on vacation or fix some things around the house, ect. too. She said girls don't really care what kind of car you drive anymore (she knows my cool cars haven't really helped me land a gf lately). I tried to explain to her that I like driving a nice car for me mostly and its hard to go back to driving a junker and then you have to worry about it breaking down, ect. btw. she said the V6 was a "sissy's car" and I tried to explain it has 305hp now and she said it doesn't matter and a few days ago she was saying a V6 mustang would still be cool and get decent mileage? I guess I could go with a low payment lease like from Chevy or KIA on one of there budget cars to save some money for a couple years and get decent mileage too. Another idea is to try to sell my car privately and maybe get a few grand out of it, but I'm not sure since its a lease. Any ideas guys?
That girl is right. Listen to her.

You can't sell your car. If it's a lease, you don't technically own it. Drive it until the end of the lease, then go buy something sensible.

You just went bankrupt - this is the absolute worst time in your life to be financing a brand new car.

Drive a sensible car, move up in your career, get back on your feet, fix your credit, then splurge.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

if possible look into getting a used car, but like 650 said, get your ducks in a row before shooting....
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197 650
That girl is right. Listen to her.

You can't sell your car. If it's a lease, you don't technically own it. Drive it until the end of the lease, then go buy something sensible.

You just went bankrupt - this is the absolute worst time in your life to be financing a brand new car.

Drive a sensible car, move up in your career, get back on your feet, fix your credit, then splurge.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.
Thanks for the advice, but I heard that buying a new car can help your credit (as long as you pay on time, ect.) As far as selling it the Hyundai dealership mentioned buying it from me now since I still have a couple payments left and thought I may have some equity since the buyout is about 16k and they thought they could give me in the 18.5k range, minus the remaining payments. But the Ford guy said he would only give me 15.75k for it because it was in an accident but would give me like $750 credit for a competitors car or something. He also said my credit was actually pretty good considering the bk (I never missed a car or house payment in my life and only let the last few cc bills go before filing) I basically did it to get rid of the 20k in cc from going through school and working part-time twice, but now I'm still stuck with student loans for the next 17 or so years. There is really no moving up in my career either. I'm a nurse and where I work they don't give raises, just bonuses twice a year based on census. I tried to explain to the girl at work any car you buy (even a "sensible" one like a Camry, Fusion, 200, ect. is going to be in the 20-25k range so why not get something a little less boring?) She suggested getting something in the 5k range since I don't want a junker, but I would still have to take a loan out for like a year or so on something like that. What do you think about something like a Focus, Veloster, Koup or the like for around 20k and better gas mileage or even something like a 2008 GT for around the same price?

Forgot to mention: I just got my lease ending paperwork and they don't really give you any extra time to turn it in and it sounds like they are picky about any excessive wear, ect. Although I really don't have any as its in good shape, I'm worried they will dock me for having been in an accident or something. I hate to pay for them to take it and that's another reason I'm looking to get rid of it before the lease is up so as to not take that chance. I know they charge like $400 at least even if everything checks out.

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 04-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I may have some good news guys. First of all I did get approved by one bank for a special term of 75 months at 440, but I listed my car on the gen forum and a guy called right away and said he would be interested at about 3k over my buyout! He also doesn't even want my 19" wheels or CAI so I could either sell those too or keep the wheels as a 2nd set maybe. If all goes as planned, I would be right at 400 or slightly below and I would be much more comfortable there. Although the term is kind of long I hope I wouldn't get tired of the car after a few years. Heck I haven't even driven the new 5.0 yet. The last one I test drove was a 09 and it felt pretty good, but just needed a bit more hp and I'm sure a 100+ bump would do the trick.

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 04-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Jhawk
1st Gear Member

I had a 2011 V6 before my 2012 GT. Don't make the same mistake. The V6 was awesome, but the GT is ridiculously better.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Get the 5.0 and im sure you will Not get tired of it ;0)
Old 04-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I'm kinda having 2nd thoughts guys. I just went over my budget and even a best case loan of 400/month will be stretching it. I could probably do it, but would really have to watch what I spend and maybe cut out cable and get Netflix (since I don't watch a lot anyways). I did some research on my own at various credit unions and banks in my area and the only one that would approve me was a CU that is offering 6.25% for 66 months. That's about 1% below what the dealer could get, but his was for 75 months. I know the loan I found is better since its shorter term and you would end up paying less interest, but the payment would still be around 425 which is a good 30-40 more than what I wanted to pay. I guess I could take the longer term loan and then refinance in a year or two when my credit would be better. Or try to pay the sales tax up front and see if I can get that 750 discount out of the ford brochure and I might be able to get it down to around 405 or so with the shorter term loan. btw, does anybody know if dealerships have the brochure as I can't get it to open as my pdf program isn't working.

I still have to check on insurance, so this all may be moot if he says it will be a big hike over my 2.0t. I may have to end up looking at the 2013 V6 with a couple options or maybe just look into getting a 3k beater for a couple years. I have to figure something out this week though as the guy who is interested in my car is supposed to be over by the end of next week and I won't have a way to get around if he buys it.

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 04-08-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

What about a used 2011 gt???
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Dang, its not looking good. I just got an insurance quote and it would go up to $87/m from about $70 now. I guess that's not too bad though as a new Genesis coupe like mine wound be about $80.

Yeah, a lopez a used 2011 probably wouldn't save me much as I'm looking at just over 25k for a new one and used cars have higher interest rates. Now maybe if I could find a demo or something...

btw I noticed that there was a 1994 Cobra in the paper for 3k. I don't know the condition or miles yet, but it said it has some extras. If its even halfway nice I could pay cash for it and save some money that I would have spent on payments for about a year and have maybe 4-4.5k instead of only 3 to play with now and maybe get a 2013 next year at this time. Only thing is I wonder if they will offer similar discounts of around 5k at that time?

Quick Reply: 2012 base 5.0?