Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time is running out for me I need HELP please!!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Default Time is running out for me I need HELP please!!!!

I take my car in first thing Monday morning to get my new bumper and hood and to get stripes painted on the rest of the car. I currently have vinyl stripes they are old and cracked. I spent 2 hrs. tonight trying to remove them and all I got done was the spoiler and and about 6 inches of one stripe on the trunk door I took a hair drier to it and it helped a little but the problem is they seem to be baked on they are so old and brittle that as soon as I start to pull on them They break and have to dig at the edge with my finger nail or a credit card. any advice on how to remove them would be greatly appriciated. Thank god I dont have to do my hood or front bumper but at this rate I wont be able to get them off of the roof trunk and rear bumper in time before I take it in to the shop.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

There is a product called Sticker Shock I used along with plastic razor blades to remove stickers on my GSXR successfully.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Maybe you could possibly get a window scraper or a razor blade since your getting your stripes painted on anyways. Just take it slow but it should go faster than getting sore fingers or a dull edge of a card.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

wouldnt the 3m wheel work?
forgot the exact name, just google it i heard it makes vinyl stripes dissapear
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

I would recommend the plastic razor blade then clean it up with eraser pad and goo gone

You got time to do it. You can find those in car stores
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

3m stripe off wheel, electric drill, 3m adhesive remover and patience
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
supergp17

Ok I do a lot of vehicle graphics at print shopt I run, so one solution would be to go buy some Orange Peel or Orange Citrus cleaner and Isopropyl Alcohol. You would spay the area generously with the Orange Peel cleaner, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then spray it again and start peeling/scraping. After you get the decal and adhesive mostly off, you can then spray the area (do it in square foot sections) with watered down Isopropyl alcohol. I'd say 1 part alcohol, 3 part water.

Another option would be to get in touch with a local print or sign shop. A lot of those places can get something called Vinyl Off from their distributors. Vinyl Off would pretty good too, you would just spray it on and do a similar process as above.

I would also seriously recommend getting a small hand held Butane Torch. Heat will speed up the whole process. If you can't get that then try a blow dryer with an extension cord. Just head a 1 square foot area and the vinyl should come off much easier. Just don't heat an area that is soaked with Orange Peel or Alcohol, since their flammable, dry it first.

Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Isopropyl should do it, if not, like GP17 said, use an orange cleaner. When I was working on my spare door, testing some detailing techniques, I found that goo-gone actually worked well for removing adhesive from the paint. I can't tell you whether it dulls the paint or not though because I wetsanded the whole door and buffed it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Wheel eraser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKN5_UfDik
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Eraser wheel is the answer. It works best. The vinyl off solution works good also. Get in touch with your local graphics shop and they should be able to take care of it relatively cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time is running out for me I need HELP please!!!!