Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound when pressing clutch - 2012 V6 manual

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
satellite779

Default Clicking sound when pressing clutch - 2012 V6 manual

Hi guys,
I'm experiencing a weird click-clack sound when pressing the clutch in my 2012 V6 manual. I experience this mostly in 1st gear, a bit less in 2nd, in 3rd I believe this is not audible (maybe because of increased noise levels, or some other reason). Sometimes I hear just "click", sometimes "click-clack".

The car has 180 miles on it. I noticed the sound during the test drive, but didn't thought much about it.

Did anyone else experience this or has an idea what this might be? Do you think it warrants a trip to the dealer?

Thanks

Last edited by satellite779; 04-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
satellite779

Seriously? No one? Wrong forum?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by satellite779
Seriously? No one? Wrong forum?
LOL give it time, takes a bit for people that know the answer to your question to get back to you, people will respond I don't know the answer but just letting you know just chill ;p
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Mine does this at the engagement point, I have an 05...I just assumed this was normal for a manual. Is it not?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Mine clicks when you push it in, along with every other Mustang with a hydraulic clutch I've sat in or driven...granted I've never driven another manual car that has done this, but mine drove fine so I just assumed it was normal.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by satellite779
...I'm experiencing a weird click-clack sound when pressing the clutch in my 2012 V6 manual. I experience this mostly in 1st gear, a bit less in 2nd, in 3rd I believe this is not audible (maybe because of increased noise levels, or some other reason). Sometimes I hear just "click", sometimes "click-clack"...
Hey satellite779,

A dealer visit will assure nothing is wrong with your Mustang. So by all means, make an appointment with them and PM me with VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Thanks,

Noemi
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
satellite779

I just noticed that mine makes more noticeable sound if you don't really let go off the gas while pressing the clutch. I'm talking about 10mph 1st-2nd gear shift at approx 2000rpm, nothing crazy. It makes two clack sounds which can really be heard.

If I do let off the gas before/during pressing the clutch in the same situation, the sound is a lot less noticeable.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 PM
iribarre

Hey there

I just read your review about your clutch click. I have a 2013 GT manual and have noticed the exact same click - clack as you described. I am just curious to what it is and what did you figured out?. Did you take it to the dealership?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
satellite779

Originally Posted by iribarre
Hey there

I just read your review about your clutch click. I have a 2013 GT manual and have noticed the exact same click - clack as you described. I am just curious to what it is and what did you figured out?. Did you take it to the dealership?
Hey,
Congratulations on your new ride!

About click-clack sound: I accepted it as normal. I took it to Kearny Pearson Ford in San Diego, where I bought the car. They drove with me and said that is normal. An old mechanic explained how there are small gaps in gears throughout the transmission all the way to the wheels. When we're driving, those gaps are not there because everything is under tension. But, when we press the clutch we release that tension and those gaps are created again. Apparently, this is what causes those sounds (this was a very simplified description of what they told me, I'm not a mechanic). I can also here this sound to a lesser degree when I'm rolling in first gear and adding a bit gas then releasing it. E.g. when I'm searching for a parking spot. The explanation I got from this mechanic could explain this too.

I have my first regular service soon, so I'll get a second opinion from another mechanic. The car is in warranty, so I'm not worrying too much now.

Btw, I've tried sending you a PM but PMs are disabled on your account.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
iribarre

Awesome. Thank you very much for your reply.
I was reading something similar to what you described. I will keep you posted if I hear something different from the mechanics here in Houston.

I am a first time Mustang owner, so just trying to make sure the beast is tuned. LOL. The car is awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking sound when pressing clutch - 2012 V6 manual