Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Auto-X event on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

It's a hoot... Normal mods most of us do put us in classes where we don't belong. Last year my LCAs and CAI put me in the class with the friggin WRX's... :roll:

Now I've got Hot Rods, I'm in Street Modified and running with full tilt boogie machines... but obviously I'm just in it for fun...

I have a problem with throttle control.. learning to roll it on so you don't dirt track was may problem... This pic was from two weekends ago.. I've finally figured out how to just hang out the rear without being drifting... between slowing down with the throttle and just barely hanging it out.. my times have improved quite a bit..

Pretty tough on tires.. That's why I rock my old Goodyears (ain't gonna waste the Nittos).

I also plan on doing the PDX (where we get to go on the road coarse for 20 min classes with instructors).

Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Thanks to everyone giving me some input, I really appreciate it. Found this while searching some sites, thought it might be helpful to anyone looking to get an intro course to auto-x:

http://www.rmsolo.org/rmsoloschool/index.html
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink Very true!

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
Lot's of people want a fast car...BUT a fast driver is better everytime.
Very true!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

This article has a 2012 GT autocross rookie's first impressions:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...autocross.aspx

I've autocrossed on-and-off for the last 3 years with three very uncompetitive cars (Saab 900, Subaru non-WRX Impreza, 2nd. gen Mazda RX-7) and plan to attend more consistently with my 2013 V-6. Some words of advice from a not-rookie but not-veteran.

Don't be "that guy." You know, the one who thinks his car is the greatest, he knows everything, and that he's going to come in and cream everyone on his first run whilst not getting a scratch on his car. Those kinds of guys end up having the least amount of fun, alienate everyone, and wind up dead last. Autocross draws a diverse spectrum of cars and drivers, and most will go out of their way to help you if you have any questions or need to borrow tools. You will be slow when you start and you will be beat by imports like Civics and Miatas. Don't be discouraged. Those same drivers will help you get fast.

Some clubs offer instructor ride-alongs for novices. It's a good idea to take advantage of this and from multiple instructors if possible. That way, you get all sorts of different perspectives on your driving.

If your course starts off with a corner, try to angle your car at the start to better negotiate the corner. Smooth is fast. If you feel like you're losing it and can't recover, then put both feet in.

If you notice a cone out of place on course, slow down (but don't stop) and point it out. You'll get a free run if the cone is out of place. Make sure to do this ONLY if you are certain a cone is out of place, because if it isn't your current run counts and you won't get a rerun.

Bring water, lunch, some snacks, sunscreen, and a hat. You can get a nasty sunburn even on a cloudy day.

When working the course, be on time for your work assignment. Be prepared to hustle to those cones! Keep an eye out for oncoming cars. Even if a cone gets tipped but stays upright, make sure to check if it is in the box anyways. When you're not grabbing cones, watch the other cars and see how they negotiate your section. You can learn a lot just by observing.

Last, but not least, have fun out there!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by I_Call_D.I.B.s
This article has a 2012 GT autocross rookie's first impressions:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...autocross.aspx

I've autocrossed on-and-off for the last 3 years with three very uncompetitive cars (Saab 900, Subaru non-WRX Impreza, 2nd. gen Mazda RX-7) and plan to attend more consistently with my 2013 V-6. Some words of advice from a not-rookie but not-veteran.

Don't be "that guy." You know, the one who thinks his car is the greatest, he knows everything, and that he's going to come in and cream everyone on his first run whilst not getting a scratch on his car. Those kinds of guys end up having the least amount of fun, alienate everyone, and wind up dead last. Autocross draws a diverse spectrum of cars and drivers, and most will go out of their way to help you if you have any questions or need to borrow tools. You will be slow when you start and you will be beat by imports like Civics and Miatas. Don't be discouraged. Those same drivers will help you get fast.

Some clubs offer instructor ride-alongs for novices. It's a good idea to take advantage of this and from multiple instructors if possible. That way, you get all sorts of different perspectives on your driving.

If your course starts off with a corner, try to angle your car at the start to better negotiate the corner. Smooth is fast. If you feel like you're losing it and can't recover, then put both feet in.

If you notice a cone out of place on course, slow down (but don't stop) and point it out. You'll get a free run if the cone is out of place. Make sure to do this ONLY if you are certain a cone is out of place, because if it isn't your current run counts and you won't get a rerun.

Bring water, lunch, some snacks, sunscreen, and a hat. You can get a nasty sunburn even on a cloudy day.

When working the course, be on time for your work assignment. Be prepared to hustle to those cones! Keep an eye out for oncoming cars. Even if a cone gets tipped but stays upright, make sure to check if it is in the box anyways. When you're not grabbing cones, watch the other cars and see how they negotiate your section. You can learn a lot just by observing.

Last, but not least, have fun out there!
Thanks for the feedback. I am inquiring about this because I DON'T want to be that guy. I am really looking to learn more about my vehicle and have fun. Hell, I'm in the "Street Modified" class so I'm not really looking to be competitive, lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Well, today went well. Learned a lot and really enjoyed it! I'm hooked! My first run was terrible, spun out and hit 3 cones (at least you know I was trying+no ABS, lol) and ran a 96.626 (good runs were ~80.000 for rookies). My last run was my PB at 79.015, good for 8th best raw time out of 19 rookies (some were clearly not new to Auto-X with 70.00 times, up there with the top runs overall). My PAX was god awful as I was put into CP making it 67.953 good for 15th of 19. I have a LOT of room to improve and was consistently shaving 2 seconds off of each run. Here's a rough sketch of the course (not 100% proportionate but hey, it's good enough. Black line indicates the typical line of the driver, orange = cones.

Here's a vid of a veteran running in a STX BMW 128i:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vACWY...ature=youtu.be

He placed 6th in the Pro category with 70.931 raw time and a 58.305 PAX.

Side note, FridgeVert aka Neil won the ESP class!

I will definitely be attending EVERY event they hold as long as I am free (should be but who knows). Next event is May 6th. I'm going to install a Watts link before the event as my panhard bar wasn't fairing too well and now my center is completely off even after the drive home, lol

Last edited by bakerjd; 04-16-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhpFc...2U-RnPaJeViy0=

Overlay video of STX Pro Class guys
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear you had fun!