Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I am wit 07BLACKGT used Z06 all day over new base vette and 5.0 decked out over base vette.........

just get a 13 shelby and be done
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I absolutely love my Mustang but if I had the choice between the two I'd take the Vette if I could afford it and had another car for my family. It's purpose built for going and turning fast. If money is absolutely no issue and you just want performance, then the Vette could be the best way to go.
My stepdad had an '86 and got 150k out of that thing before it needed a new engine. Everyone complains about the interior...well it pumps out serious performance for a car costing 1/4 the price of a Ferrari so beggars can't be choosers.
On the other hand, the Mustang in the long run would be far easier to maintain, cheaper, and be able to get you more places. Plus the aftermarket is ridiculous, you can do anything with these cars for a pretty dang good price.

You should drive both and see what excites you when you sit in the seat and floor it.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifeexplorer
OK, I know they are very different cars, and I just need some opinions.

Firstly I am very leery about the quality of both vehicles. I am really tired of reading reviews on how powerful those cars are. You know what, if the car doesn't run or run properly, it has got zero power. So I am hesitating to buy either one.

I understand there's a huge price difference. Mustang GT is at about $30K while a base Corvette $50K.

Money is one thing but if I spend money especially $50K on a car, I need to know that it is reliable at least to the level of my Honda - 10+ years, 1 repair.

I am not leaning towards the Vette mostly because I don't want to baby my car. A car is meant to be driven, scratched and sometimes, a little bump here and there. I like to drive it every day if I have it and I don't want to let it sit in my garage and only drive it during weekend. I may even take it to the track and learn how to drag race. Another thing is the Vette sits so slow that every drive way is a potential for damaging the car.

For the Mustang GT, I keep hearing comments like it's a unreliable junk car, which my early ownership of a GT confirms. It also doesn't project an image of quality and being classy. :-( I agree with the quality part but don't really agree with "being classy" part.

So what do you guys think?
wow, thats some bunch of ballony bs

#1, YOU should just keep your honda, that exactly "projects your image of quality and class", or better the lack of.

#2, nobody should buy a new car unless he has plenty money to blow, that should rule me and you out.

#3, as much as i love the 05-09 (only) mustang gt i will get a c6 as soon as my financial priorities allow it. and to follow some previous posts, i'd prefer a 08+ 3lt, but may be flexible as long as its a torch red on black vert
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

If you are willing to spend 50k on a stock vette, why not spend that money on a fully decked out gt500 or Roush stage 3? Then you have a car that could smoke that base vette.
I think its all about style for me. I do not like the looks of the vette. Never have. But, that's just me. And for each of me theres a guy who hates the look of Mustangs and loves his vette.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I didnt read all the other responses but I own a 2010 gt and my gf has an 06 vette. if I thought about it more iwould have got a base 6 speed vette. The ls2 is a great engine and is very reliable. My car has less miles and I seem to run into more issues than she does with the vette with more miles. I have more money in mine and the vette will still out perform me at everything in stock form. The only issue I see with the vette is its a 2 seater but at the same time my back seats have only been used to store things so the back seats are not needed for me. Also the vette is fiberglass so you will never get door dings. Only paint chips and scratches.

In the end you really just need to test drive both and make a decision from there.

Last edited by johngt10; 04-17-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifeexplorer
A car is meant to be driven, scratched and sometimes, a little bump here and there.

Sounds like you need to get a F-150. Mustangs and Vettes are never meant to be scratched or bumped. EVER!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

If I was going to spend 50k+ on a vette? I would be consider a GT500 as a possible buy. You can buy a GT500 for similar price as a base model vette. I think the new GT500's have 650horsepower, and are very well built.

Personally if it wasn't killing me I would buy the corvette over a GT. I have drove a new 5.0 and they're fast and handle nice, but the newer vette was a new experience. I love mustangs, but my mind knows more than my heart sometimes. I would get a C6 and turbo that bad boy when I got the extra money.

However I would own a GT500 over a base model C6... but that's just me.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Get a used corvette and if you can swing it get a Z06. I passed on getting a 405 hp 04 Z06 because I didn't like that body style and hate the pop up headlights. I will probably end up getting an 05+ body style some day since I love that body style and the C6 engine making 435 hp.

Test drive both and see what fits best.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

As a huge fan of Corvettes my opinion will always be in their favor. Test drive both and try to get an idea of how it would feel to drive them daily. Keep in mind that with a sportscar/musclecar the most important thing the manufacturer wants to do is to build a car that performs. That means it either needs to be quick, good at cornering or both. I can't speak for the C6 vette but my Mustang hasn't let me down yet on reliability.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I cross shopped a 2008 LS3 LT3+ vette vs a Mustang. the vette definitely won in the performance department but it lacked in comfort, practicality and visibility. I wanted an all around good performance car and I didn't want to deal with the visibility for the most part.

the mustang won me over. drive both - you'll know what you will want.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)