Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Carbon Fog light grille

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Default 3D Carbon Fog light grille

I'm going to have the 3D Carbon center-mount fog light grille installed on my 2012 V6 (along with an appropriate bumper cover), and the installer said they were going to splice the lights in so that they come on with the brights.

I'm considering having them not hook the lights up at all so that I can do it different (a dedicated toggle switch that lets me turn them on when I want them to come on).

Has anyone else done this, that can provide tips on how best to approach this?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

I used an aftermarket kit from starkeyproducts.com that includes the fogs, wiring and replacement light switch. You can also purchase only the wiring loom and switch. You pull on the switch to turn on your fogs. Your fogs do not shut off if you run your brights. You also get to use automatic lighting already built into your Mustang ( that clear square object in the center of your dash, near the front glass). Set the headlight switch fully clockwise and your headlights come on, whenever there is not enough light, or when you turn on your windshield wipers (Law in California).
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
I used an aftermarket kit from starkeyproducts.com that includes the fogs, wiring and replacement light switch. You can also purchase only the wiring loom and switch. You pull on the switch to turn on your fogs. Your fogs do not shut off if you run your brights. You also get to use automatic lighting already built into your Mustang ( that clear square object in the center of your dash, near the front glass). Set the headlight switch fully clockwise and your headlights come on, whenever there is not enough light, or when you turn on your windshield wipers (Law in California).
Yep - found that after I posted the message. $190 is kinda steep though. Gotta do some thinkin' on that...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

That's stupid, they should go OFF with the brights. Do it yourself!!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

OP wanted a switch to turn them on and off when he wanted them on or off. Lots of people want to be able to control their fogs independently of their headlights. I don't get the "should" part of your response. The fogs should do whatever OP wants them to do.

jsimmonstx: the quality of the wire loom is very good, however, it presupposes you have the OEM fogs for the V6. If you have the V8 fogs installed, you may need to have the fog connectors modified. As I have not seen your bulb connectors, I do not know if they are the same as mine. Of course you can build the loom and add a SPST switch yourself.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
OP wanted a switch to turn them on and off when he wanted them on or off. Lots of people want to be able to control their fogs independently of their headlights. I don't get the "should" part of your response. The fogs should do whatever OP wants them to do.

jsimmonstx: the quality of the wire loom is very good, however, it presupposes you have the OEM fogs for the V6. If you have the V8 fogs installed, you may need to have the fog connectors modified. As I have not seen your bulb connectors, I do not know if they are the same as mine. Of course you can build the loom and add a SPST switch yourself.
When you mentioned an aftermarket wiring harness for installing GT lights on a V6 car, I checked it out. Part of the ordering process is to select either H10 lights (GT) or Pony Package lights (V6). At $190, I had to give it some thought, but common sense won out in the end and I ordered the harness for the GT lights (comes with an appropriate OEM headlight switch as well). I just have to remember to tell the dealer that they don't actually have to connect the lights because I'll be doing it instead.

By next Saturday, I *should* have the car back (they're also putting on a Cervini hood, a 3D Carbon body kit, and Guardsman Blue 10-inch stripes).
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
That's stupid, they should go OFF with the brights. Do it yourself!!
Yeah, I think that's according to Texas law, too, but I'd have to double-check. In any case, I'll be using the starkey harness and doing it myself.