Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coyote 5.0 insane RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
MrBlack2012GT

Default Coyote 5.0 insane RPM

CAR UPDATE: I posted a week ago about a vibration our 2012 GT was having since we got it, but I now have a seperate story to share, one that salutes the toughness of the 5.0. On the way back from Florida a few weeks ago we ran into a new Challenger and had a run. No clear winner, no honking, just random pedal mashing, but here is where it gets interesting.

It was my old mans turn at the wheel when this all happened, and we had two or three runs through very light highway traffic in the middle of the night, mostly 18-wheelers, all in the right lane. Then on the last run, Mr. Challenger floored it, we floored it, but the old man went from 4th gear to 3rd gear instead of 4th to 5th on accident. The 5.0 must've tached over 9k rpm, and it sounded like we spun a bearing for a second and then it seemed to re-seat itself. Hundreds of miles later and no strange engine sounds, It finally let go yesterday and a rod started knocking, weeks after the incident.

You might ask "what's cool about that, and tell your dad to learn how to drive" lol but this isn't exactly a NASCAR stock car, 9k RPM or more in a street-driven v8 muscle car and it didn't throw a rod, crack a piston or simply destroy itself in every way? I knew the 5.0 design was very nice and a big step forward when I heard about it two years ago, but I now have endless respect for it, it is an absolute monster of an engine. Try that kind of rpm in a Camaro or Corvette and watch your engine exit the car through the hood, you know what i'm saying? Anyway, just thought i'd share that. Forget a trunklid vibration, i'm just proud to have a 5.0 in the family.

BTW, we are most likely going to recieve a new engine. After all, it's under warranty.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
300HorsesAndCounting

Kudos to you for driving a stang like it is meant to be driven. And since its under warrenty no harm no foul.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

You were going to get a new engine...but not anymore!!!! Ford service reps read these forums...can't help you!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
You were going to get a new engine...but not anymore!!!! Ford service reps read these forums...can't help you!!!
That's what I was thinking... Probably better to have waited until you got the car back before bragging... There can't be that many 2012's in LA getting a short block replaced right now... You should edit your OP to tell us the "truth" about how it blew on it's own, not knowing what could have caused it...

Don
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Seems wierd that he was able to get it into 3rd at an mph that its above its limit.. Wouldnt be too happy about that. And yea i would hope it would be covered under warrantee , shouldnt there be some safety measure preventing this type of thing from happening?

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-26-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I call faulty rev limiter
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
Yup...I'd go there.....
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

It's awesome that you're excited about blowing the engine on a new car.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I would no longer allow Dad to drive the Stang.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
A rev limiter will not prevent you from over-revving the car mechanically no more than a speed limiter can prevent a car from going past 150mph when strapped to a rocket. All it can do is cut fuel/spark, which won't prevent the wheels from turning the engine faster than it can go.

FWIW it's call 'money shifting', and it happens quite often, especially when people pistol grip their shifters. This happened recently over on the N54 (BMW) forums, and they were denied warranty service because vehicle failure was a result of user error.

Don't be surprised of Ford fights you on it. Don't want to sound like a dick or anything (but probably will anyways), but this was preventable and Ford isn't responsible for what happened to your motor. Maybe you'll get lucky, but they'll almost certainly be looking at the highest RPM logged and know what happened.

Quick Reply: Coyote 5.0 insane RPM