How effective are gears? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member
 
Bmr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,953
Default

Gears are fun and cost more than their initial price if you drive on the highway. 70-75mph, you will loose 2-3mpg. I know we don't buy these cars for mpg, but that's still money and its ignorant to ignore it.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Shift
2nd Gear Member
 
Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Gun View Post
What exactly happens on the highway?
Gears shift your rpm ranges. For example If you ride on the highway with say 3.55 gears you'll be at about 2000 rpm. With 3.73 it may be 2500rpm and with 4.10s it may be 3000rpm. Might be exaggerating the rpms some, but you get the point. Helps in acceleration throughout the gears but as you probably know riding with high rpm all the time is and can be bad. Why we dont ride around going 40 in first.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
wayne613
4th Gear Member
 
wayne613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Gun View Post
What exactly happens on the highway?
Your final gear ratio in O/D will cost you, mpg wise, and so long as it's done right, you won't get whine, but it will be louder since the RPMs are higher. Not exactly a silent interior to begin with.
wayne613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member
 
Bmr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang View Post
Gears shift your rpm ranges. For example If you ride on the highway with say 3.55 gears you'll be at about 2000 rpm. With 3.73 it may be 2500rpm and with 4.10s it may be 3000rpm. Might be exaggerating the rpms some, but you get the point. Helps in acceleration throughout the gears but as you probably know riding with high rpm all the time is and can be bad. Why we dont ride around going 40 in first.
Highway pulls SUCK with 4.10s. Above 70mph and the gearing was jacked up. Floor it and the cars acceleration was slower versus the stock gears. I was in an auto though.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Shift
2nd Gear Member
 
Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Highway pulls SUCK with 4.10s. Above 70mph and the gearing was jacked up. Floor it and the cars acceleration was slower versus the stock gears. I was in an auto though.
Yeah simply put. Want to go on highway or have an F/I set-up don't do 4.10. If you want even more torque down low, run an N/A set-up and dont often go on the highway go 4.10. I just always remember this. For me I have an F/I setup AND go on the highway, plus its my DD so 3.73 was a no brainer for me.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,738
Default

Then I drive on the highway WAY too much.
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Shift
2nd Gear Member
 
Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Gun View Post
Then I drive on the highway WAY too much.
If its your daily and you drive on the highway a lot, you'd be much happier with 3.73s.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member
 
Bmr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang View Post
If its your daily and you drive on the highway a lot, you'd be much happier with 3.73s.
Agreed...

Those "don't fear the gear" people convinced me into a bad decision that had me trading in my car just 2 months afterwards putting in the 4.10s.

My car sounded bad ***, but was all bark and no bite with the mods in my sig. If I could do it over again, I would NEVER have gotten cams which means I wouldn't have needed gears to make up for the horrible loss in low rpm TQ. Wasted $1700.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-28-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Roush05
3rd Gear Member
 
Roush05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 984
Default

Don't get me wrong; these gears are fun. The point brought up on the last page about highway pulls is a big factor though. If you are ever in a situation where someone wants to play with you and you are doing more than 45-50, you can't do much. 2nd gear ends for me at around 56-58 mph.


edit: I drive 60 miles a day on the highway, and my best tank was about 20 mpg. I average 18-19.
Roush05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member
 
Bmr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roush05 View Post
Don't get me wrong; these gears are fun. The point brought up on the last page about highway pulls is a big factor though. If you are ever in a situation where someone wants to play with you and you are doing more than 45-50, you can't do much. 2nd gear ends for me at around 56-58 mph.
Exactly. Those gears for me were only good for the first 3 gears. After that, acceleration was slooooow. Wouldn't be a problem if I could go back to 3rd, but by 75-80, I was in 4th.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terminated Whipple GT battles '13 GT500 on E85 Bokeo Street/Strip 6 10-10-2015 08:28 PM
What other parts should I be concerned about if my pinion bearing went bad? KingRando 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 10-02-2015 08:06 AM
So who wins uedlose The Racers Bench 4 10-01-2015 08:31 PM
cost to rebuild heads Drastang 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 2 09-30-2015 03:48 AM
Centerforce Clutch, will a exedy flywheel work? junior04 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 1 09-28-2015 10:53 AM


Tags
410, affect, dd, gears, liberty, mt82

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.