Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OEM Clutch - Totally different feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Question New OEM Clutch - Totally different feel

My slave cylinder/throw out bearing assembly went out on my 2005 Mustang at 65,785 miles. My clutch pedal had a dead spot at the top, maybe 2 inches. Once I pushed on the pedal it would not catch until about 1/4 way down and I could barely get my shifter in any gear. It took some force to get in gear, however was able to drive it to the shop.

Unfortunately, everything had to be replaced, except for the master cylinder. (slave cylinder, throw out bearing assembly, pressure plate, flywheel, seals, bolts, fluid and etc.) The shop replaced all the parts with Ford OEM products. I was surprised at how much it was for the parts alone.

After the installation, I test drove the car and I noticed that the clutch is real light and very easy to push down. The mechanic mentioned that Ford revised the pressure plate, due to people complaining that the clutch pedal was too stiff. Honestly, I liked stiffness and now it feels totally different. The clutch does grab low and pulls hard, but not as hard in the 2,500 - 3,500 RPM range like it used to.

I guess it is going to take some getting used to....

Anyone else experience this?

If so, did you adjust and like the lighter clutch?

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Some local owners ran into the same thing on the GT 500's of '09 and older. Most like the new clutch once they get used to it. They all said it functions just fine as far as how it grabs.....but you need to get used to the position it grabs now. It is the same as the '11 and up clutch now. One reason I did not get into an '09 Shelby this last time was my knee would not take a day with the stiff clutch. The '11 is so much nicer.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Some local owners ran into the same thing on the GT 500's of '09 and older. Most like the new clutch once they get used to it. They all said it functions just fine as far as how it grabs.....but you need to get used to the position it grabs now. It is the same as the '11 and up clutch now. One reason I did not get into an '09 Shelby this last time was my knee would not take a day with the stiff clutch. The '11 is so much nicer.
Thanks for chimin in!
I actually liked the stiffness of the original clutch. With the new clutch, I feel like I lost a little bit of the muscle car feel. My Wife test drove the car and absolutely loved it, because she said the clutch feels very similar to her VW Passat. She said, she loves it and will be asking to drive it a lot more! DOH! :-0

Yes, it will take some getting used to. I think the more I drive it, I will start liking it.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Why didn't you replace it with any of the aftermarket stage 1 clutches? Ford's price for the oem clutch components are ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
My Wife test drove the car and absolutely loved it, because the clutch feels very similar to her VW Passat. She said, she loves it and will be asking to drive it a lot more! DOH! :-0
You compared any part of a Mustang to a Passat? In public? With witnesses? I am calling blasphemy!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Why didn't you replace it with any of the aftermarket stage 1 clutches? Ford's price for the oem clutch components are ridiculous.
The shop quoted me prices for a sport clutches and it would have costed me $400+ more than the OEM clutch.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
You compared any part of a Mustang to a Passat? In public? With witnesses? I am calling blasphemy!
My Wife said, "the clutch pedal felt similar to her VW", but not the car.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-03-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

^i think i saw you the other day.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I checked into prices for a sport clutches and it would have costed me $400+ more than the OEM clutch.
Exedy clutch is $249, they want more than that for the oem disc on tousleyford.com. A new oem pressure plate is $300 and that's not even the msrp.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...utch-0510.html
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Exedy clutch is $249, they want more than that for the oem disc on tousleyford.com. A new oem pressure plate is $300 and that's not even the msrp.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...utch-0510.html
I said the same thing! But his is a V6 not GT.

I paid $560 for a Spec 3+... I know the Spec 1 is only $419 so if it was $400 more then stock, you paid $19 for the OEM one? LOL! I'm just giving you a hard time Kevin, but I don't see how an aftermarket clutch would be $400 more then an OEM one.

And as far as clutch feel the Spec 3+ clutch pedal feels exactly the same as the stock clutch, same stiffness. The only difference is how the clutch engages, this damn thing is either off or on no feathering to it lol.

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 05-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: New OEM Clutch - Totally different feel