Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

I would rather have a SRA as opposed to a IRS just saying.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

So, according to most of the comments on here about the styling, the cars Ford built between 79-93 were NOT Mustangs, right? They had NONE of the classic styling cues...
C'mon.
Ford started the retro trend in 2005 and the rest had to play catch up. Now, it's time for them to set the trend again by redefining the Mustang. Make it the true GT car is deserves to be. Put an IRS on it, put it on a diet, make it a better car. I'd LOVE to see a Mustang that can compete with the Germans in interior, the Italians in styling and SMOKE them all in horsepower.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trez83
So, according to most of the comments on here about the styling, the cars Ford built between 79-93 were NOT Mustangs, right? They had NONE of the classic styling cues...
C'mon.
Ford started the retro trend in 2005 and the rest had to play catch up. Now, it's time for them to set the trend again by redefining the Mustang. Make it the true GT car is deserves to be. Put an IRS on it, put it on a diet, make it a better car. I'd LOVE to see a Mustang that can compete with the Germans in interior, the Italians in styling and SMOKE them all in horsepower.

I'd love to see the mustang lose some weight, but for it's size, it isn't 'so' bad. Weight loss will come with size reduction at this point. Not much else there to chop. 2+2's aren't small. Better balance would be good too (move the battery to the rear, jostle some electronics around!).

IRS yes, lets get with the 21st century - it's a damn fine SRA but come on.. It's like saying 'those musket rifles shot well back in 1792 - why use a M-16 now??'. Imagine what Ford could do if they could get this SRA wrench outta their sockets and devote themselves to a kick **** IRS. I just don't get all the folks saying it needs SRA to 'put all that power down'. WTF, so all the other cars out in the world with IRS are somehow not putting the same HP to the ground (with superior handling) as a SRA Mustang? All those other cars out at the drag strip with 300, 400, 800, 1000HP cars with IRS having 'no problem' launching, aren't putting their power to the ground? I want the next mustang to put it's power down solidly, and be fun to drive (RWD) and yet still handle like mad without having to spend another few K to get it right myself (IRS please, or Ford make something up yourself like Nissan did with it's GR6 suspension on the GTR..)

Do you guys watch these car comparisons on youtube, and are we watching the same videos? The same ones where Randy Pobst (motor trend videos) continually takes all the latest mustangs out against M3's, Vettes, GTRs, and his continual comments despite liking the new mustangs, is all the cars having 'wheel hop', 'floating' and 'flying' over hops in the track (SRA at play) and not liking the SRA and it's impact in general while driving? This from a professional driver who loves the Mustang for what it is (he says it every time - Pony car fun times!)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

Well said
Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Losing weight and adding IRS? Well that would be a tough one since a compatible IRS weighs in at 150+ pounds over the current SRA. And I wouldn't want a first year production vehicle with a new IRS.

BTW, there are many 2003-04 Cobra owners that have switched their IRS to a SRA. Why? Breaking at the drag strip!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

So us drivers who use our cars in a rational way need to suffer with the same suspension set up as a school bus so a few people can drag race these fat pigs?

Please, Ford, put the IRS in.

If you wanna drag race these cars, buy yourself a solid axle with the rest of the parts you'll need to turn the car into a drag racer. It's only fair. I'll take the extra 150 lbs in the rear - it'll help to achieve a better 50/50 balance. And, with the convertible, I'll bet it's damn near 50/50. If that happens, I say "Good job, Ford," way to finally understand that MOST of us like to drive our cars - meaning going around corners - rather than solely race our cars in a straight line.

JayyVee - you are right. How many broken half shafts have you read about on Ferrari's, Aston's, Lamborghini's, FORD GT's, Corvette's, Koenigsegg's, Porsche's, Bugatti's? Funny how they can "put all their power down" - some to ALL 4 wheels, and NOT break a half shaft.

The reason the old IRS sucked was because it was never designed to handle the power that engine could make. They took it from the old Lincoln Mark VIII - a good car, but not a crazy powerful one. If you drove the old Cobra like a rational person, the IRS would last forever. I know, my friend has one with over 100,000 miles on it and zero issues.
Don't knock the IRS. It's the logical evolution.

If you still want a solid axle in your car I have to ask - Do you still use a rotary phone? Why did you even buy a car? The horse and buggy accomplished the same task.

Good night solid axle - I'll be seeing you - on school buses and dump trucks.

Last edited by Trez83; 06-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I don't see why Ford can't have an SRA with an IRS option or vice versa. The SRA is already well developed. Keep it as an option. Personally, I would get one with the IRS, since I like road courses better than the drag strip.

Also, while they're at it, have an optional brake system with greater brake swept area and cooling. This is another weak link for the Mustang.

BTW, one of the reasons why I chose the Mustang over a BMW or Porsche was its ability to be a solid daily driver. If it "loses weight" it may be at the expense of making the car less worthy of a daily driver.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

New rendering, my favorite to date:

For comparison's sake, the Evos concept:

I could see this being close. I like it a lot, I love the rear wheel wells. Not a big fan of the chrome around the grille, but that's just because I hate chrome.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic
New rendering, my favorite to date:

Looks too close to the 2012 to me except I like that the rear is a little shorter.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Wow, that evos concept is fugly to me. I dont think it could even grow on me. That blue one looks pretty good but not much change from current, just more swoopy and feminen lines. I'm not sure if they can even improve upon the looks of the 2013... maybe they can *shrugs* Personally if the entire car were about 10% smaller, have roofline be a few inches lower, make it shorter by taking out rear seats and made it a roadster... it could be one sick looking car. And lighter, too.

People mention SRA being better for drag racing and straight line, I guess on the prepped drag strip it is. But anytime I mash on the gas and hit the tiniest bump on the street, the whole rear end will float and lose traction for a second. Sometimes it will sway side to side. Hell, sometimes there are many small bumps and it's like having wheel hop.. it gets very violent back there

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang?