Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is more economical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

since you want economy,
how about N2O?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Lol. That's funny. I never even thought about that. But I believe it's just a little illegal for street use. Haha. It would be fun though.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i didn't know it was illegal on the street.
but it is cheap.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

That's what I have always heard but I could definitely be wrong. I have never tried looking it up or considered it an option because I thought it was illegal unless used on a track or maybe used for purging.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Not a problem and I understand that your intent is to mod but under a reasonable budget. Perhaps I didn't read closely and assumed you wanted better fuel mileage (us old guyz tend to do that sometimes). Fair enough...

It's been a long day and I'll admit I haven't read most of the responses beyond your original post so let me ask a few questions:
  1. What IS your budget?
  2. Would you be satisfied staying NA and in the 320-350 RWHP realm or do you really want more?
  3. How much work can you DIY?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Not a problem and I understand that your intent is to mod but under a reasonable budget. Perhaps I didn't read closely and assumed you wanted better fuel mileage (us old guyz tend to do that sometimes). Fair enough...

It's been a long day and I'll admit I haven't read most of the responses beyond your original post so let me ask a few questions:
  1. What IS your budget?
  2. Would you be satisfied staying NA and in the 320-350 RWHP realm or do you really want more?
  3. How much work can you DIY?
I did mention better fuel mileage but in comparison of SC - Turbo. Naturally Aspirated I know would kill gas more than going FI.
  1. My budget is mostly how long I want to save.. it has taken me 2 years to spend $4000 on my car. So I would roughly be saving that long in order to get a Turbo or Supercharger.
  2. I'm honestly not sure if I would be satisfied with 320-350rwhp. I test drove one of the 5.0s and it felt really strong and quick even from 50+mph rolls. But I feel I would get used to the power and it would make me want more. I have never driven a car with anything more than the 5.0 or force inducted.
  3. DIY knowledge is limited to my dad for the most part. He has worked on cars and restored his '67 Mustang so he knows a lot but knows less about the newer models. We also have access to pretty much every tool needed.

I don't blame you for not reading everything though. It was sort of long winded.

Last edited by ZPounds07GT; 05-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It sounds like going FI is what you desire. Most forum members are SC'd; matter of fact, I'm not sure I can recall a frequent participant to the forum that has a turbo; and many are DD's. There are a few decent kits that lend themselves easily to DIY that boast good HP gains, the 2 Breenspeed packages linked above included. There was another kit (can't recall the brand/model... another BS thing about getting older) that was on sale not too long ago for about $3k. It won't hurt to contact Brenspeed and chat; those guys are great. They can do the install and put it on their dyno and they have accomodations while you wait.

And you already have supporting suspension mods going for you. Yeah, go FI however you want. You won't be sorry.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It sounds like going FI is what you desire. Most forum members are SC'd; matter of fact, I'm not sure I can recall a frequent participant to the forum that has a turbo; and many are DD's. There are a few decent kits that lend themselves easily to DIY that boast good HP gains, the 2 Breenspeed packages linked above included. There was another kit (can't recall the brand/model... another BS thing about getting older) that was on sale not too long ago for about $3k. It won't hurt to contact Brenspeed and chat; those guys are great. They can do the install and put it on their dyno and they have accomodations while you wait.

And you already have supporting suspension mods going for you. Yeah, go FI however you want. You won't be sorry.
Thanks for the info, I have noticed quite a few people do have some kind of FI on their car which is pretty comforting to see that not many have issues with them. The two from Brenspeed seem to be able to upgrade fairly easy too.

I considered having Brenspeed install it but with me being in Ga and them in Indiana, it's going to be about $200+ to get there and back just in gas. It may be worth it but I will just have to look into it a little more. There is a speed shop near my work that I want to speak to about tuning and ask about their experience with FI tuning in specific.

I will probably upgrade a few more things suspension wise once I get close to getting the SC because I want as much traction as possible.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I helped a friend install a vortech HO kit, took us 2 days for the install. not too bad.
if it were non-IC, a lot easier. could be done in 1 day easy.
also helped another friend install a air/air IC on a vortech, and we fabbed the piping with a non-vortech IC.
the whole IC setup was about $250.
that install took a little longer bc it wasn't a kit for the car, but a used setup off ebay and didnt have all the parts.

i think a canned tune with a basic SC kit would be very good, no real need for a dyno tune.
I have a email tune for my Whipple that makes 460 rwhp with 7 psi. so a email or canned tune can be very good, as long as you only have basic mods.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
I helped a friend install a vortech HO kit, took us 2 days for the install. not too bad.
if it were non-IC, a lot easier. could be done in 1 day easy.
also helped another friend install a air/air IC on a vortech, and we fabbed the piping with a non-vortech IC.
the whole IC setup was about $250.
that install took a little longer bc it wasn't a kit for the car, but a used setup off ebay and didnt have all the parts.

i think a canned tune with a basic SC kit would be very good, no real need for a dyno tune.
I have a email tune for my Whipple that makes 460 rwhp with 7 psi. so a email or canned tune can be very good, as long as you only have basic mods.
What is the advantage of inter-cooled over non-inter-cooled, just more power or does it make it easier on the SC?

With respect to the tune, I thought an email tune would be okay as long as it was conservative, it's not like I'm trying to squeeze every bit of power out of it that I can. If I do choose to do a dyno tune, I would prefer a shop that I can reach somewhat easily in person but also have experience with that SC specifically so that I feel comfortable enough with the tuning.

This may sound like a stupid question, but does the motor have to be tuned before I can drive the car with a SC on it? The closest tuning shop is about 40 minutes from my house.. I'm just trying to cover all my bases so that I know exactly what I'm doing when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Which is more economical?