Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dented metallic dashboard plate 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Default Dented metallic dashboard plate 2013 GT

I've recently noticed that on my 2013GT Premium 5.0 Stang the lower metallic dashboard plate, part of the two pieces that cover up the passenger side airbag has a crease about an inch and a half from the door side of the plate and about as tall as the piece is or about 3inches. It looks like it got very slightly bent on installation and I'm wondering should I have it repaired/replaced under warranty or leave it as it's original to the car? I took it to the service dept and had the clerk check it out today, he said if I don't have dashboard rattles already I will after they replace the piece because it would require removal of the dash and repacking of the airbag itself. The warranty guy wasn't there today so I still have plenty of time to have it fixed if I go that route. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Well.....I would have it done under warranty but at a dealer that will not tell you they do bad work. Properly done means no rattles........
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Well.....I would have it done under warranty but at a dealer that will not tell you they do bad work. Properly done means no rattles........
Copy that
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slammintone
...after they replace the piece because it would require removal of the dash and repacking of the airbag itself. ... Thanks!
Uhhh....repacking of the airbag? What the heck does he think it is? A parachute? I seriously doubt they have anyone in their service department who can repack an airbag. I thought that the covers were replaceable, but if not, they will have to replace the whole airbag unit. And it had better not rattle. If the guy at Best Buy can do it without it rattling then Ford better be able to.

And yes - I'd get it fixed. Frankly, I'd go to another Ford service department if possible.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Uhhh....repacking of the airbag? What the heck does he think it is? A parachute? I seriously doubt they have anyone in their service department who can repack an airbag. I thought that the covers were replaceable, but if not, they will have to replace the whole airbag unit. And it had better not rattle. If the guy at Best Buy can do it without it rattling then Ford better be able to.

And yes - I'd get it fixed. Frankly, I'd go to another Ford service department if possible.
Didn't make much sense to me that they could just yank the messed up panel and pop a new one in it's place. 20min operation tops. I will get it fixed. It's too cool looking in person and strongly reminds me of the metallic ones they had on 60s Shelby Mustangs, only meaner!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I've recently noticed that on my 2013GT Premium 5.0 Stang the lower metallic dashboard plate, part of the two pieces that cover up the passenger side airbag has a crease about an inch and a half from the door side of the plate and about as tall as the piece is or about 3inches. It looks like it got very slightly bent on installation and I'm wondering should I have it repaired/replaced under warranty or leave it as it's original to the car? I took it to the service dept and had the clerk check it out today, he said if I don't have dashboard rattles already I will after they replace the piece because it would require removal of the dash and repacking of the airbag itself. The warranty guy wasn't there today so I still have plenty of time to have it fixed if I go that route. Thanks!
Hi Slammintone,

Definitely swing by your dealership and let them take a look. They'll be in the best position to have that crease repaired. Additionally, I want to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll handle everything else.

Thanks!
Crystal
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Slammintone,

Definitely swing by your dealership and let them take a look. They'll be in the best position to have that crease repaired. Additionally, I want to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll handle everything else.

Thanks!
Crystal
Well, Golly! PM on it's way. Just finishing up a string of 12hr evening shifts so I didn't catch this sooner. Does it matter which Ford Dealership I have this taken care of by? I know the Dealership where I got the car couldn't handle a deep scratch in the paint on top of the rear bumper (done by whoever they contracted to install the Lemans stripes across the top of the hoods and front and back), they were just about to have someone drive it to a body shop somewhere in town and I told them forget it and picked it up myself. So I can't be sure the same Dealership will even be able to handle this work at this point. Thanks again!

Rick
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Its an easy fix to replace the cover on the airbag ... I've swapped them before .. no big deal.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
nolimits

I wouldn't accept that answer. If they fix it and it rattles, they'll be fixing it again. There's no reason for that. Whoever you talked to was coming up with a lazy excuse.

Repacking the airbag? lol
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Well, Golly! PM on it's way. Just finishing up a string of 12hr evening shifts so I didn't catch this sooner. Does it matter which Ford Dealership I have this taken care of by? I know the Dealership where I got the car couldn't handle a deep scratch in the paint on top of the rear bumper (done by whoever they contracted to install the Lemans stripes across the top of the hoods and front and back), they were just about to have someone drive it to a body shop somewhere in town and I told them forget it and picked it up myself. So I can't be sure the same Dealership will even be able to handle this work at this point. Thanks again!

Rick
Hi Rick,

You can see any dealership you'd like. Just a heads up: I responded to your PM and escalated your case. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Crystal

Quick Reply: Dented metallic dashboard plate 2013 GT