Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please! ( reposted from above)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by tenfifteen
Assuming you have the cash, I'd take the $11k price delta and use it as a down payment on the '13 GT, and ensure you're not upside down on it when you drive it off the lot. Wait a year or so, sell or trade in the GT, and pick up a '13 GT500, which stock for stock is a massive upgrade to the '12.

I'm not sure resale value is a strong argument here. Head to cars.com or autotrader.com and look up '08 or '09 GT500s… it's not a Ferrari, its price is going to drop, and both cars are going to depreciate at similar rates as you're daily driving… tucked away in a garage and driven a few hundred miles a year, maybe you've got something in 2042, but for the foreseeable future, seems to me like the '12 is going to be remembered as the car that came out the year before they made a truly epic upgrade to it.

Just my two cents.
Resale value IS a strong argument. Take the 03-04 Cobras and compare them to the 03-04GTs.
The same will happen with the GT500's if not more so.
ESPECIALLY if you play it smart and sell it to a buyer and not trade it in.

Also.. our 06GT was traded in at a value of about 14k in 2011. Which is a loss of almost half of what it was new.
The 08 GT500 we got still had it's price STRONG comparatively when we got it. MUCH stronger than the GT.

At first the resale values will be high on cars if they are in demand. Then they will drop.
Then the good ones go back up again after some years. And I'm not talking 20 years or anything either.

My family has DEEP roots in the Ford industry and the Shelby/Cobra line has always ended up with a MUCH bigger resale value.
Don't forget the Shelby is also going to be discontinued once again within the next few years which will also give the resale value a boost.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-11-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Resale value IS a strong argument. Take the 03-04 Cobras and compare them to the 03-04GTs.
The same will happen with the GT500's if not more so.
ESPECIALLY if you play it smart and sell it to a buyer and not trade it in.

Also.. our 06GT was traded in at a value of about 14k in 2011. Which is a loss of almost half of what it was new.
The 08 GT500 we got still had it's price STRONG comparatively when we got it. MUCH stronger than the GT.

At first the resale values will be high on cars if they are in demand. Then they will drop.
Then the good ones go back up again after some years. And I'm not talking 20 years or anything either.

My family has DEEP roots in the Ford industry and the Shelby/Cobra line has always ended up with a MUCH bigger resale value.
Don't forget the Shelby is also going to be discontinued once again within the next few years which will also give the resale value a boost.
Okay, all I know is, I can go to cars.com and find '06 to '09 GT500s all over the country for $30k and less. And with the '12 GT500 producing ~110 fewer horsepower than the '13, it would seem like the demand just isn't there; can't imagine that's going to change much in the used market. My dealer has one on the lot just like the one mentioned by the OP.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diagoro
i do dig the "sex with a new GF" comment......that i'll take to the bank

thanks!
I can't be the only guy who gets a woody when I hear the whine of a blower (no pun intended).