Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please! ( reposted from above)

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Diagoro

Default Help Please! ( reposted from above)

i was told that this was the best part of the forum to post this question. the following is reposted from the "welcome" forum.....

Hi, Folks...i'm potentially a new mustang owner and could use some help from some knowledgeable members.

i'm trying to make a decision between 2 great deals....a new 2012 GT500 with 10 miles or a new 2013 GT Premium.

the 2012 GT500 has the Electronic package and the SVT performance package. aside from the stripe delete....it has everything i want.it's brand new at a great price of 50k.

the 2013 GT Premium has the track package, comfort package, heated seats,rear camera, electronics package and a manual shift. configured the way i want at roughly 39k.

cost aside...what would you pick?

i want a GT500, but i'd rather have a 2013 mustang. not just for the superficial changes, but i'd want any advancements made to the suspension, handling ,etc. but, then again it's a great deal on a GT500....i just can't ignore it.

as much research as i've done, i don't know the real differences between 2012s and 2013s....beyond the obvious. like a i said , i know about the cosmetic changes, the track aps, the 8 extra horsepower....but is there anything else i should know?

does a 2013 gt premium handle as well as a 2012 gt500?

i'm not emotionally attached to either car( i will be once i make a decision)....i try to keep it that way when i'm negotiating, but with deals like this time is of the essence ....so any help any of you could provide would be appreciated greatly!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

pretty easy decision to make. drive both and see what you like.

are you willing to pay 11k more for that extra power?

you'll figure it out. you're not going to make this decision based on a compelling argument from someone on the internet.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Can a GT500 even compare to a GT? GT500 = Sex! Dude that seems like a good deal too! Go for it if you can financially
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Just cause its a year newer does not beside the fact you're comparing a GT500 to a GT. That is like comparing a playboy model to a woman you find at a strip club. Honestly man, throw the year newer question out. Im also a even year guy so I'd more like saying "yeah I have a 2012 GT500" rather than 2013 GT. Ford vs. Shelby. 550 hp vs. 420. It'd be an easy decision for me, especially if the cost wasn't an issue.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Diagoro

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
Just cause its a year newer does not beside the fact you're comparing a GT500 to a GT. That is like comparing a playboy model to a woman you find at a strip club. Honestly man, throw the year newer question out. Im also a even year guy so I'd more like saying "yeah I have a 2012 GT500" rather than 2013 GT. Ford vs. Shelby. 550 hp vs. 420. It'd be an easy decision for me, especially if the cost wasn't an issue.
that's a good point....and why i'm here to begin with.

going with my gut, naturally wants me to go with newer. but i know there's more to it than that, but i just don't know enough about what shelby has done to the mustang beyond what's in the brochure. and that's why i have to ask people in the know....like you folks

from what i've read, Ford seems to be raising the bar every year with performance/handling quality of the vehicle. while a Shelby GT500 is exceptional.....how much better is it than a 2013 GT premium?

i know what you'd pick, but aside from HP, why would you make that decision?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Diagoro

Originally Posted by bigD1515
Can a GT500 even compare to a GT? GT500 = Sex! ......
dude....that made line made me spit up my drink!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Diagoro

Originally Posted by Entaille
pretty easy decision to make. drive both and see what you like.

are you willing to pay 11k more for that extra power?

you'll figure it out. you're not going to make this decision based on a compelling argument from someone on the internet.
i've driven both....well, a 2011 GT500 actually and a 2012 GT premium. not long enough to get a feel beyond one being a helluva lot more powerful and awesome sounding that the other.

for me it's not just the power, but the expertise and prestige of the Shelby name....i kinda dig that. nothing wrong with a plain mustang, but it's nice to have a little more "omf".

but it is 11k. and that in itself is enough to give me pause.

and don't under rate yourself....or internet people in general.....i find forums like this a great wealth of knowledge. you just can't beat the amount of personal experience you all have.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The '12 GT500 hands-down if cost isn't a biggie.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

GT500 WITHOUT question if you can afford it with no troubles.

We went from a 2006GT to a 2008 GT500.
Even though the jump in years is opposite from you, the 2009GT was the same build as the 2006 GT so in relation to build we were in the same boat as far as comparison.

I have driven the '13GT and I would take my 08 GT500 over it ANY DAY.
That being said, you will NO DOUBT enjoy the '12 GT500 MUCH MORE than the 13GT.

The GT500 is just a different animal. It is a BEAST.
The power of the bigger engine, the winding noise of the supercharger, the embroidered seats, heck even the Shelby stamp on the engine... is all just an awesome thing to have and be a part of. And finally, yes I admit this might sound shady, but the prestige of owning one and having everyone look at your car and check it out... as well as giving you thumbs up and talking to you at gas stations, grocery stores, and everywhere else is really cool and pretty dang flattering.

There is NOTHING that can compare to being a Shelby owner if you are a fan on Mustangs. NOTHING.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

12' GT500 has my vote! If cost comparison is a huge factor, have you considered a slightly used older model (2010 or 2011) GT500?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Please! ( reposted from above)