Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random small things that other cars have and Mustangs should have

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I would have liked the Home Link in the visor so I would not need to have the big garage door remote in the car.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

I think my favourite piece of tech in a car that should be in every car, let alone the Mustang, is the HUD that's in newer Camaros. It's great, you look through your speed/rpm. Really useful and stops you from being distracted.

The only thing I wish mine really has when I pick it up is Bluetooth audio/basically a decent headunit, maybe I can ask Santa for that though
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
I think my favourite piece of tech in a car that should be in every car, let alone the Mustang, is the HUD that's in newer Camaros. It's great, you look through your speed/rpm. Really useful and stops you from being distracted.
Not if you keep staring at its numbers, putting the road ahead somewhat into the background.

Way too many of the things mentioned in this thread are nothing but functions of peoples' laziness. Which like smokie posted six months ago is more in line with traditional luxury cars than with muscle/pony/sports cars.

Even though those things might not hurt the performance of the car enough to matter, they do change the character of the car from "muscle" or "sport" toward something "softer" or "upscale luxury with a hint of sporting flair" (that's not a compliment, BTW).

Maybe people need to answer these questions. Did you buy your Mustang to enjoy driving it, or just to enjoy what features it has and be seen in? Did you buy it for your own "right reasons"?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Maybe they distract you, but they don't me. Possibly because I work with displays during the day and they meld into my peripheral vision, possibly because since I was 11 years old Gran Tursimo was in my life. For me, I found that having the speedo on the windshield meant that I could keep my vision higher on the road than checking down in the cluster every so often. Yeah, it's something we know as a feature on more luxury car, but that's the thing with technology, it will find its way into real 'driver's cars' as we go.

What happened to the real drivers cars with no Power Steering, ABS, Traction Control, CUP HOLDERS and heated seats, eh?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A handgun lock box bolted to the rear floor board. I can't carry my 9mm into work, so it'd be nice to securely lock it in the car.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
Maybe they distract you, but they don't me. Possibly because I work with displays during the day and they meld into my peripheral vision, possibly because since I was 11 years old Gran Tursimo was in my life.
That may very well be part of it. I've been driving since at least 8 years b.P. (before Pong). So to me, visual clutter is still clutter and distracting to varying degrees. For example, I do get distracted by the messages that mostly silently cruise across the bottom of my TV screen (probably because it is intended that I get distracted to it, but distraction is still just distraction).

Truth be told, I rarely look at my speedometer or tach any more - let alone any of the others - unless I'm on a post-mod/repair test drive or if something suddenly seems amiss. Years ago, I had an A-pillar mounted tach that I did get used to (an honest 7500 rpm motor with no rev limiter).

What happened to the real drivers cars with no Power Steering, ABS, Traction Control, CUP HOLDERS and heated seats, eh?
In the same order . . .
ever-increased car weight
catering to drivers with inadequate emergency braking & handling skills
ditto for those with poor throttle modulation skill
damned if I know
and leather seating .

I've owned or at least driven cars that had none of those features. The driving experience didn't suffer one little bit .

Norm
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Exactly, my old 205 GTi had nothing, well, half leather seats and electric windows, but it was so light that there was no need for power steering and I'm pretty sure I had to put bottles in the passenger footwell, oh and forget about AC (but you don't need AC just outside London) I survived that car, and it survived me!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

To me there are no downsides of having most of the beneficial features that are listed in this thread. If you dont want to use them, you obviously dont have to.. The features wont detract from the "feel" of the car at all imo in any negative way, and i think 99% of the population would agree. You purists should get a 60's mustang if you want it primitive lol.

The suggestions in this thread would make it a more appealing car to a larger market, and whos really going to complain about almost any of the extra beneficial features listed here? - almost no one. The pros greatly outweigh the cons.

"hey, its nice that you have a rear seat light and your trunk opens automatically, also you can roll down your windows with the key remotely and a garage door opener built into the visor" etc

"yea i know, it all sucks" ?? no one would say or think this.

If it doesnt detract from performance at all, or increase weight or add more than negligible cost to the build, theres literally 0 reason to not have it.

Last edited by Andy13186; 11-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Trust me, if I could ever at the same time assemble the required $, time, indoor space, and ambition to build a serious Pro-Touring 1966 Mustang - I would do exactly that. Or even something smaller and lighter still. Wouldn't be much that I haven't already done once or twice, just that I haven't done it all to the same car. I wouldn't even look back.

About the ever-increasing levels of technology . . . I think this movie quote works rather well (boldface mine).

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

I have had a few incidents involving unintended operation of some high-tech feature in my wife's Subaru LGT (that neither of us have ever intentionally used and never will). Usually when suddenly reaching for the horn button in reaction to an unexpected situation.

While I can't speak for everybody, I absolutely want things like that staying the hell out of my way, and the best way of making sure that happens is for the features to not be installed in the first place. Maybe an acceptable alternative would be to provide the capability to default each one completely off, similar to the way the perimeter lighting feature is handled. Otherwise, inadvertent operation is always going to be possible, and being startled when driving is rarely a good thing.

Really, having ever more "features" doesn't make the car "better". Just more complex than necessary. Do I need to suggest what that means to even a moderately advanced DIY'er?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-19-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

should be smoother and easier to drive like a new beemer..tbh the stang feels like a 1970's ford granada on steroids...

Quick Reply: Random small things that other cars have and Mustangs should have