Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
So you have the Scott Drake ones? These?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...-2009/p/HDPK5/
Those are the ones I was looking at.
I wax the car maybe 4-6 times a year. Depends on how many shows I go to, but it is my Daily Driver as well. It seems like these are a problem for black cars more than other colors. If I do ever get the issue I could always remove the lanyards, but how hard is getting the scratches out. Simply buff it out?
Also people have said, it depends on how much slack you have in the lanyard. Too tight would seem bad, and so would too loose but I may be wrong, cause I've never had them.
Yep, Scott Drake makes the one's for Shelby The marks they can leave from dirt getting between them at the hood can easly be removed with any good light polish

Last edited by CutterWolf; 05-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Yep, Scott Drake makes the one's for Shelby The marks they can leave from dirt getting between them at the hood can easly be removed with any good light polish
Alright thanks, and Im extremely **** about doing stuff myself and messing up. Cause ofc if I do, its my fault, but If I have a shop do it, its their fault if you get what I mean. How long roughly did it take for you to install it?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Another question. Some Mustangs can pull off hood pins, others look awful with them. Do you guys think mine could pull them off to look good? In other words should I do them?

Where would i place them on my hood. Far left and right parts of the hood or more towards the middle in distance from stripes?

Last edited by Shift; 05-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Another question. Some Mustangs can pull off hood pins, others look awful with them. Do you guys think mine could pull them off to look good? In other words should I do them?

Here is my 2 cents....I think your car would look killer with the Scott Drake / Shelby pins in black. Don't be afraid to do this yourself, it is very easy. First you need to install the radiator brackets, the the pins. Adjust the pins down to the lowest position, or until the just touch the underside of the hood. Now, get some peanut butter or thick paste wax, and put a glob on the round tip of the pin itself. Close the hood to transfer whatever you decide to use, and BAM there is where you drill your pilot hole. The directions recommend a hole saw, but trust me, get yourself a set of step bits, it will make life so much easier. I worked the outside and inside with the bits and it worked out very well. Pull the trigger!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Here is my car with the pins installed.
Attached Thumbnails Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?-2012-03-14_11-04-52_753.jpg   Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?-2012-03-14_11-04-36_414.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothamems
Here is my 2 cents....I think your car would look killer with the Scott Drake / Shelby pins in black. Don't be afraid to do this yourself, it is very easy. First you need to install the radiator brackets, the the pins. Adjust the pins down to the lowest position, or until the just touch the underside of the hood. Now, get some peanut butter or thick paste wax, and put a glob on the round tip of the pin itself. Close the hood to transfer whatever you decide to use, and BAM there is where you drill your pilot hole. The directions recommend a hole saw, but trust me, get yourself a set of step bits, it will make life so much easier. I worked the outside and inside with the bits and it worked out very well. Pull the trigger!
Haha I was considering black but if you look at this picture for example I've gone chrome/billet for a mass of things. Fuel Door, exhausts, rims, interior dress up, etc. Other than the stripes, I dont have much black. From the front I agree black would look good but seeing the rest of the car, I feel like Billet would look best. I'd LOVE to pull the trigger atm but am trying to be careful!

Gothamems: Looks good, I feel though that with the stock hood putting them further out would look better. Distance wise, which should I do in placement?

OR

Last edited by Shift; 05-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Haha I was considering black but if you look at this picture for example I've gone chrome/billet for a mass of things. Fuel Door, exhausts, rims, interior dress up, etc. Other than the stripes, I dont have much black. From the front I agree black would look good but seeing the rest of the car, I feel like Billet would look best. I'd LOVE to pull the trigger atm but am trying to be careful!

Gothamems: Looks good, I feel though that with the stock hood putting them further out would look better. Distance wise, which should I do in placement?

OR

I see what you mean with the chrome. I have OCD with my car, so what I did to tie up the front end a little tighter is I installed very thin chrome rings around my fogs. IMO, I think it makes the front end look super tight, chrome pony, chrome fog trim (they have to be the thin ones, many of them on the market are very big and to much), and then the hood pins. I like the position of my pins, this position will clear your stripes, I personally think this position works very well with the stock hood.

Last edited by gothamems; 05-13-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothamems
The farther apart the better for looks. If you want to put them where I have mine its easy. Open your hood and look right next to the 2 bump stops and you will see a hole. That hole will hold your hood pin but, you need to remove your headlights so you can get to the underside for the nut that goes on that side of your hood pin. Then just do as stated about to mark your drill locations.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
The farther apart the better for looks. If you want to put them where I have mine its easy. Open your hood and look right next to the 2 bump stops and you will see a hole. That hole will hold your hood pin but, you need to remove your headlights so you can get to the underside for the nut that goes on that side of your hood pin. Then just do as stated about to mark your drill locations.
Alright I might do that route. Do I need to put the lanyard through the grill honeycomb holes or right under the hood where it lays? If I have to put it through a grill opening it'll be very difficult to put it on the outside.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Alright I might do that route. Do I need to put the lanyard through the grill honeycomb holes or right under the hood where it lays? If I have to put it through a grill opening it'll be very difficult to put it on the outside.
You can attach them under your radator cover. When your hood is close there is a gap between the hood and the grill so your lanyards will not make contact .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Hood Pins that Don't Scratch Paint?