Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning my steeda cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default cleaning my steeda cone filter

hey guys i haven't cleaned my steeda cone filter at all for my intake in my car since installing it. i was going to go ahead and do it while i was home for the holidays before heading back to school. I have the k&n recharge kit that i got from autozone a couple years ago. my filter is blue as you all know and i heard that if i use the k&n oil it'll turn red. i don't think its a huge deal but would you guys recommend doing this? or should i just go ahead and get the steeda cleaning kit? thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

The cleaning kit from Steeda is just S&B brand, the oil is the same as the k&n oil it's just blue instead of red. You should be fine to just use the red oil, unless you want it to remain blue
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
The cleaning kit from Steeda is just S&B brand, the oil is the same as the k&n oil it's just blue instead of red. You should be fine to just use the red oil, unless you want it to remain blue
Got your's installed yet?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Got your's installed yet?
No, not yet. Just got a bunch of money for Christmas, so I am about to buy the tuner. Turns out my wife thought I would have already just gone out and bought the tuner by now... well, crap. Getting excited though!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Looks to me like youy let your wife down! After 23 years, my wife just thinks I am crazy. She once told me that I could not buy a lawn mower without doing something to it. I once made the mistake about "totaling the costs" for her 4 dogs. Big mistake on my part. Good luck with the tuner / custom tunes. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Never compare the wife's dog cost to your car cost. Accept that money comes in and money goes out. As long as there is no negative balance, let it be. As for the OP, K&N will change color, not performance. Just be sure it needs to be cleaned, and you spend the time to do it right.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

will do. thanks for the words guys. are there any good instructional videos that you have seen to do it right? i don't want to mess anything up. car has 78k miles on it and still runs strong as ever, like to keep it that way as long as i can.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

nevermind got a link to cleaning the filter successfully. how long do i need to let it "naturally dry?" just leaving it in my garage right now to dry off since its rainy and cold outside. might go ahead and bring it into the kitchen and set it down there
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

whenever I clean mine I usually let it dry overnight. As long as you didn't over oil it (like I did my first time ) it should be dry by then.

Last edited by IndecisiveS197; 01-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

yes, it is difficult, you have to be thorough but don't overly saturate it with oil. if you do, you'll likely gunk up the MAF.

Quick Reply: cleaning my steeda cone filter