Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a V6 but reeeeeally want a V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
stang06lv
2nd Gear Member

I would personally go w/ the new 5.0, so much power ready to be released..not knocking 4.6 as i have a v6 manual happy with that.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

If you're questioning your budget in a V6 vs. GT debate I think you should stick to a 05-09 GT. No need to press your boundaries for a 5.0. I've driven both and can honestly say my modified 'Stang vs. 5.0 stock, I enjoy mine much more. If you decide to go with a 5.0 you may not be able to purchase mods and have fun because of several factors, primarily initial cost and increased cost for mods when compared to older models.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Shadow16508

Just a quick thought here: just as you are admiring and envying the guys with the GT's consider all the people admiring YOUR car, thinking how lucky they'd be to have a sweet ride like that. While you're mulling over what to do, pay attention to all the admiring glances you get from the people driving Cavaliers, Civics, Neons and the like. Or worse, the people stuck walking and using public transportion. I would have loved a Mustang in college. ANY Mustang!

Oh yeah, to actually answer your question posted, my humble opinion is to wait until you are settled into a career (not just part time jobs). Enjoy what you have for the time being, and maybe take whatever extra money you were going to have to put out every month and put it in a seperate savings account for a while. By the time you're ready to buy, you'll have a fair bit of change waiting for you so maybe the jump up to a '12 or '13 won't be too much of a burdon on your regular account. Maybe even a 50th anniversary edition by then.....

I hate that I've turned into the sensible middle-aged guy giving out conservitive advice, but I've already been through all the ups and downs of starting a new family and still trying to afford all the toys I had to have. You may have a fair amount of money available to you now, but think about the cost of the wedding, honeymoon, house, kids, everything associated with starting out on your own. Who knows, maybe if you let Mom and Dad know your desires you might find a brand new GT parked outside the church after you make the long walk down the aisle!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Get the GT, if you can afford it and really want it.

I supercharged my 6, and while it's frickin' awesome, I still drool when I see and hear GT's. Perhaps I have a case of the "grass being greener on the other side," but still.

Nothing beats the sound and feeling of a powerful V8 engine...especially with some Roush axel back exhaust mufflers on it
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 AM
pv74

I got the same bug myself...
I have an '11 V6..

Drove the 13 5.0
If you cold have sex with a car...that would be it...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I guess Im the only one here that thinks the GTs arent that much better over the v6. yeah the rumble is nice at first but it gets old quick. I drive my 4cyl and v6 more than the GT.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I still grin ear to ear every time I fire up my GT's V8! Couldn't imagine not having that rumble...
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Shadow16508

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I guess Im the only one here that thinks the GTs arent that much better over the v6. yeah the rumble is nice at first but it gets old quick. I drive my 4cyl and v6 more than the GT.
Nope, you're not the only one! We just bought our first Mustang (a 2012 V-6 convertible), it was really our first money is no object purchase. We drove both the six and the GT, and I found the V-6 a more satisfying drive. The power it has is incredible, and it felt lighter on its feet. Both cars are awesome, but I just thought the V-6 was the better choice for us.

To reply to the next post about feeling the rumble: I know what you mean. I've had three trucks (all V-8) that hasbe all cat-back straight pipes. Talk about rumble! We just had the exhaust on the Mustang done yesterday (axle-back straight pipes) I was really surprised at how satisfying the sound is. There is still a nice low rumble that turns into a wild growl at WOT. It sounds more like a NASCAR cup car, where the trucks sounded like pro-street drag cars. Addicting!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Um..., sorry, but I'm 63 years old and still waiting for the "rumble" to get old.

I mean no offense to anyone, but I've driven everything from 2 to 12 cylinder cars and if the rumble of a big block V8 doesn't raise the hair on the back of your neck, a Chevy Volt is in your future!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
Um..., sorry, but I'm 63 years old and still waiting for the "rumble" to get old.

I mean no offense to anyone, but I've driven everything from 2 to 12 cylinder cars and if the rumble of a big block V8 doesn't raise the hair on the back of your neck, a Chevy Volt is in your future!
haha if I could "like" this, I would.

I'm in the same boat academically, OP. I'm going to be graduating here in December and am full blown saving for a 5.0, nothing less. Cutting back on going out, reducing grocery bills to $20-$30/week, and feathering the gas pedal. I crave that motor like a pregnant hormonal mother-to-be craves chocolate and fast food. I know I won't be able to hold out until 2015, but I've fallen in love with the 2012 body style (not so much on the 2013s) and have been longing for a V8 since day 1.

I'll give you the same advice others have given, but know that this also comes from a 22yr senior. Save until you can realistically afford the car payment and insurance. This is a big transition you're going through, academically, socially, and financially/professionally. You want to be dead-sure that you can afford this as you don't want to find out after the fact and have it torn away from you! Make sure you've got a solid job. I have an internship, and I'm good at what I do, but in the end, my position would be the first to go if my department really had to reduce overhead. Could I afford a new 5.0 right now? Oh yea. Would it be wise to get one without knowing if I'll land a job right after school? Probably not. How else will you pay off the bills if you're cleaning tables for 20hrs/week?

Also, look at it this way: if you save up rather then blow the money now, instead of making car payments, you'll be able to buy it out-right and IMMEDIATELY begin modding! Hot damn, that'd be a good feeling, wouldn't it?

Overall, just make sure you've covered all of the bases before making the purchase. I know what you're going through, and the itch is there (believe me), but a little willpower goes a long ways!

Also, I like what someone else said: Wait long enough and heck, maybe mom and dad will help towards the payments!

Last edited by MadStang40; 05-31-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a V6 but reeeeeally want a V8