Accel Super Coils Advice? - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Accel Super Coils Advice?

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Accel Super Coils Advice?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

FI is the general abbreviation for Forced Induction(supercharger or turbo). If I put a supercharger on, I might think about getting a new driveshaft.

If you are worried about a warranty, you won't be able to mod much. Even a tune voids your warranty. I would assume that aftermarket camshafts and longtube headers would as well, but I'm sure someone who knows for sure will chime in.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

At this point, cancel your coils, and sit back on your money for awhile. Do some more research and plan it out. You're on the right path and seem to be asking the right questions. I truly believe, in the end, you're going to end up with the intake You're probably not going to lose bottom end like you think you will, and you'll pick up a nice gain when your foot gets heavy! Make a post asking anyone who has made the switch to the boss intake. See what they say.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:02 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Order_66 View Post
im not sure if i should be offended by this comment....listen, not everyone can be an expert like you obviously are.

im new with mustangs and when a highly reputable company like AM that buys mustangs just to mod them and test them tells me to add a mod, im going to listen to what they say.

however, i am not stupid. there is enough overwhelming response to this against doing coils, not just here but other mustang forums, so i will cancel them first thing tuesday.
Don't be offended. You'll develop some thick skin on here, trust me. I understand that when a company, especially one such as AM recommends a part, people generally expect it to be good advise, which is why I'm actually disappointed with them on this one. However, like I said, it would be great for them to post some information regarding the coils that empirically shows they're beneficial to our motors. As none of us have really seen it, we can't join in with AM in recommending them. For what it's worth, my motor is putting out in excess of 500 hp, and soundly supported by the stock coil packs. There are people on here in far excess of my power levels being supported by the stock coil packs.

You can power by increasing air, fuel, and efficiency. While SOME spark modifications can make a charge burn more efficiently, these coil packs don't, especially to an extent that warrants the cost. Even if they gained you 3-5 HP, your power levels will fluctuate more than that in a 10 degree air temp different, so why spend the hundreds of dollars on it, especially when there are far better options out there.

You're doing the right thing by coming to the forum. At the end of the day, AM needs to sell things to stay in business. I'd say 95% of the time they're straight shooters, but occasionally every company sometimes has a miss when recommending parts.

As an example, I bought a $3500 short block from Brenspeed, who neglected to mention or document that the stock windage tray doesn't fit in the new motor (clearance issues). Took me putting together the motor, and firing it up to find out. These things happen.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:35 PM
JimC

Take a step back and think about what you want to do with your car - what the overall plan is. Once you have that in mind then start buying what you need.

If you do that you won't spend money on things that later you wish you hadn't done. And you can plan out what you need and what order makes sense for the mods as you build to the plan you have in mind.

That is one of the things my wife mentioned on the new car for me. I have already modded one car, and now have a fresh palette coming. With this one I know what I ultimately want to do with the car, and will be doing some things differently. Like a CAI - since I already have a plan for forced induction, I'm not spending the money on the CAI for this car (although I will get a tuner and tunes, just using the stock air box, because I know I will need the tuner and the tunes are because I already know that I won't like the stock transmission shift points and lag).

When you have your overall plan in mind, then you will know if the aluminum driveshaft makes sense for your build.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Take a step back and think about what you want to do with your car - what the overall plan is. Once you have that in mind then start buying what you need.

If you do that you won't spend money on things that later you wish you hadn't done. And you can plan out what you need and what order makes sense for the mods as you build to the plan you have in mind.

That is one of the things my wife mentioned on the new car for me. I have already modded one car, and now have a fresh palette coming. With this one I know what I ultimately want to do with the car, and will be doing some things differently. Like a CAI - since I already have a plan for forced induction, I'm not spending the money on the CAI for this car (although I will get a tuner and tunes, just using the stock air box, because I know I will need the tuner and the tunes are because I already know that I won't like the stock transmission shift points and lag).

When you have your overall plan in mind, then you will know if the aluminum driveshaft makes sense for your build.

yes, i know what i want. a more responsive faster car. the car is fast. im not complaining, but id like it to be more...once you get used to something it doesnt feel fast anymore.

i am def doing CAI and BAMA tune. also doing the braces for the front struts and rear.

then im stuck with what to do. id do intake manifold...but im hearing bad things about major power loss down low.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft will definitely make it rev quicker in gear. Just be sure and get a quality piece. Anytime you can reduce rotating mass, you're going to move quicker .
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Performance coils on a supercharged car do improve driveability. It accelerates smoother, better idle. I'm not sure on the hp increase, but I wouldn't doubt it. The problem is that Accel coils have a high failure rate, just google it. Mine lasted a little over 1 year before one completely quit and it won't throw a code.

I'm now using msd coils, because my stock coils were causing a misfire. So far, so good, but I still don't recommend aftermarket coils.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have had to accels for a couple years. I got them around the same time as moose i think. I did have one fail after some time but got it replaced for free. No issues since. I didnt expect horsepower but it did smooth out the running and sounded better idling and such. I got them on a great deal and much lower than they are selling for now also. But as mentioned there are better mods out there for sure.