Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent quirks my GT has developed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM
abecker

Default Recent quirks my GT has developed

Hi all,

Over the last couple weeks my car (2009 GT stick)has developed a couple of quirks.

1) When I start the engine cold sometimes it seems to hesitate before roaring to life. I'll turn the ignition and it will flip on, but hesitate for maybe a tenth of a second or so before jumping directly to 1500-2000 rpm.

It never used to do that before; it would be a more smooth transition from turning over to roaring to life. It seems to be worse the colder it is outside.

It's fruitless to have someone look at it because by the time I get it to a mechanic the car is warmed up and doesn't have the issue anymore.

2) When using the auto-up feature on my passenger side window it will go up maybe 3-4 inches and then come back down. If I press it again it works just fine and rolls all the way up. It's almost like it thinks something is in the way so it backs off much like a garage door would. But I checked, there isn't anything.

Thoughts? Only thing I can think of for #1 is maybe my battery isn't as strong as it used to be. However, I just had my routine maintenance a few weeks ago and they checked that.

Last edited by abecker; 05-31-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abecker
Hi all,

Over the last couple weeks my car (2009 GT stick)has developed a couple of quirks.

1) When I start the engine cold sometimes it seems to hesitate before roaring to life. I'll turn the ignition and it will flip on, but hesitate for maybe a tenth of a second or so before jumping directly to 1500-2000 rpm.

It never used to do that before; it would be a more smooth transition from turning over to roaring to life. It seems to be worse the colder it is outside.

It's fruitless to have someone look at it because by the time I get it to a mechanic the car is warmed up and doesn't have the issue anymore.

2) When using the auto-up feature on my passenger side window it will go up maybe 3-4 inches and then come back down. If I press it again it works just fine and rolls all the way up. It's almost like it thinks something is in the way so it backs off much like a garage door would. But I checked, there isn't anything.

Thoughts? Only thing I can think of for #1 is maybe my battery isn't as strong as it used to be. However, I just had my routine maintenance a few weeks ago and they checked that.
Regarding #1, I will be interested in seeing feedback on this one... hopefully someone will chime in that has experienced this. Mine does this too, but I replaced my battery 8 months ago, so I don't think it is the battery. The thing I do notice though is that the starter sounds a little higher pitched than before (I was thinking maybe the starter is hanging on for a half second after letting go of the key slowing the engine for a moment before firing up). I mentioned this to the Ford service department during a routine service and got the "it is operating within parameters" line. I am tempted to change out the starter with the PA Performance starter that AM sells. Does anybody know if a starter change helped this issue? How hard is a starter change? DIY?

Regarding #2, I also get this too, but it rarely happens (maybe once a month). So I just hit the switch again and go about my day. I would like to know what others have done to correct this too. Subscribed!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I would suspect the battery.

Have you tried resetting the windows? For each window, hold the button in the down position and hold it a few seconds after it hits bottom, then do the same in the up position. I have to do that with my '06 from time to time, especially if the battery gets low.

I'd have the battery load tested and make sure the alternator is putting out up to snuff.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
abecker

I have done the window limit re-config.

It only happens when the windows is coming up all the way from the bottom. It will stop a couple inches up and then retreat.

The starting anomaly is what concerns me more. Chicago winters aren't always kind to cars in general and the "hesitation" gets worse the colder the car is.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Go to an autoparts store and get the battery and alternator tested. You can try autozone, advanced autoparts, O'Reilleys, Pepboys and etc.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

He's not saying the starter is turning slowly...he says the engine hesitates to run after starting it....sounds like a fuel pump/filter to me.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by Roy_R
He's not saying the starter is turning slowly...he says the engine hesitates to run after starting it....sounds like a fuel pump/filter to me.
Correct; the starter turns as fast as it always has.

So far the suggestions I have are:

1) Check battery (already done)
2) Check alternator
3) Check fuel pump/fuel filter
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abecker
Correct; the starter turns as fast as it always has.

So far the suggestions I have are:

1) Check battery (already done)
2) Check alternator
3) Check fuel pump/fuel filter
At my last visit, the battery and alternator were checked (both fine) and I had the fuel filter replaced. Issue still persists...

BTW, my starter turns over as fast as it always had (has a slightly higher pitch to it though), but it is the initial "stumble" that lasts only a second or two after the starter disengages. It actually sounds kinda cool with the cams, but I am sure that it is not good for the car. Other than the first couple of seconds, the car runs perfectly all the way to 6500 RPMs!

Last edited by jdmcbride; 05-31-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Or could be a dirty throttle body. Try cleaning the TB.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 AM
MustangBoy28
1st Gear Member

I agree with D'prived. Maybe the throttle body is dirty. Visit your nearest auto parts store and get a can of CRC Throttle body cleaner, should be no more than $10 or something. I would first check battery. This happened to my car a while back, it ended up being my battery cause I took it into the auto body store to have it tested. If you do unplug the battery for more than 30 min, don't forget to go through the idle re-learn process so your ECU can re learn the idle. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Recent quirks my GT has developed