Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires that don't flatspot

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Tires that don't flatspot

I will soon be replacing my tires on my 2010 Mustang Gt. I'm looking for tires that don't suffer from flat spotting. I currently have the 18" factory Pirelli tires, and I sort of fixed the flat spotting on them, but I still get a little shimmy on them from time to time. This car is my dd so comfort is more important than performance. I was wondering if Michellin or bf goodrich make tires for the mustang that don't flat spot.

Thanks for all replys.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Tires dont flat spot from daily driving. They flat spot from sitting in one position for an extended period of time or from locking up the wheels and sliding them. there are no tires that will never flat spot.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

No way tires should be flat spotting on a DD car. Ever. It may feel like it if it is super cold, but that usually won't last more than a block or so. Why do you feel your tires now are flat spotting overnight?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

The only tires that havent really had a flatspoting issue on my car is the stock ones.

I have had Nittos and Nexen and both will spot if I left it setting more then a day and if it was cold ever time it didnt matter if it set more then a hour but they would shake for about the first mile then they would straighten up
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I sometimes only drive my car once a week and I haven't noticed any vibration with my Yokohama S. drives. They are a summer tire and traction is priority. I can't get over how great the wet traction is on these tires. It's ridiculous how well they stick when accelerating in the rain. I literally embarrass people every time it rains.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Most if not all tires will flat spot to some degree but should even out after a few miles of driving. With some tires, you never feel it. Flat spotting is more noticeable in cool weather.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I sometimes only drive my car once a week and I haven't noticed any vibration with my Yokohama S. drives. They are a summer tire and traction is priority. I can't get over how great the wet traction is on these tires. It's ridiculous how well they stick when accelerating in the rain. I literally embarrass people every time it rains.
+1
Great tires. Sticky and great in wet. Far better than the Eagle F1 supercar tires I had before
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Most if not all tires will flat spot to some degree but should even out after a few miles of driving. With some tires, you never feel it. Flat spotting is more noticeable in cool weather.
I first noticed to problem in fall of 2010. When I moved to a new town my commute was almost all highway, and I only live about 2 miles from the highway. When I went to the dealer they said the factory tires sometimes suffer from flatspotting even after just sitting overnight. They gave the tires a road force balance and it fixed the problem but lately in the morning if I get up to about 75 mph the steering wheel will shake a tad, not much but if I'm thinking about it I will notice it. I was wondering if I would better off with grand touring tires? Since its a dd I'm more concerned about comfort over performance. Or maybe there's a tire that combines the two. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Only way to completely eliminate the possibility of flatspots is to put the car on jack stands immediately everytime you park it.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Only way to completely eliminate the possibility of flatspots is to put the car on jack stands immediately everytime you park it.
Oh, I thought all mustang owners did that.

Quick Reply: Tires that don't flatspot