Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise from passenger side panel + battery gauge jumping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
winevalleystang

Default ticking noise from passenger side panel + battery gauge jumping.

Wasn't sure where to put this thread, by my 2005 mustang V6 has a ticking noise like a relay clicking on and off from the passenger side panel under the glove box. When this happens, my battery gauge jumps to or almost to the red and occasionally the check charging system light comes on. One time this happened the check traction control light popped up. Also one time when it was ticking on and off frequently (every second) i turned my AC on and the 3 lights at the Ac flashed a few times then the ticking stopped and the ac turned on.

This doesn't happen always, it usually happens when i first start driving my car ( i live off the highway and happens usually once i get on the highway and accelerate) but here's the kicker, it wont happen if i have my AC on. Usualy ticks once, then again about a second later, during this time my battery gauge will jump up like my alternator is overcharging my system. I was thinking maybe a fuse or relay but I took it to my friend who is ase certified and he said it might be a control box which is a little black box? I recently replaced the alternator as the last one was bad, and load tested my battery which was ok.

does anyone have any experiance with this or have any idea? im stumped!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Could be a few things. I know mine clicks like that when I leave the trunk open and not completely closed on accident. Also have you noticed any wetness in that area or on the floor? These cars are infamous for water leaks on that side and when that SJB gets wet it does funky things like you are describing.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 AM
winevalleystang

Trunk is closed, has to be something electrical as the battery guage and the check charging system pops up occasionally.

sjb?

pretty sure i dont have a water leak, also it hasent rained in my area in about a month or 2, and this just started a week or 2 ago.

thanks for the reply!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Two things that typically (chroniclly) cause electrical issues/gremlins on the S197 are:
  1. Water leak as described in one (of the MANY) TSB's. Water leaks in from the cowling and causes the connections on the Smart Junction Box (SJB) inside the passenger kick panel to corrode. A leak from prior months can go undetected while the SJB connections degrade over time.
  2. Low voltage due to electrical degradation. The OE battery and alternator are weak links and are prone to cause low voltage conditions. Have both load tested.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winevalleystang
sjb?
SJB = Smart Junction Box

This is a secondary electrical and logic hub for the car. Relays, fuses, and logic boards mainly slaved from the PCM.

PCM controls the voltage output of the alternator based on the IAT sensor(cold engine, higher voltage, warmer it lowers). That is the sealed metal box towards the front of the engine bay on the passenger side, below the BEC (Bussed electrical center), which is the main fuse and relay hub direct from the battery itself.

Yank the plastic molding out on the passenger side kickpanel just before the door to narrow down what/where the noise is coming from. I can guess from what you state, but I'd first verify this is eminating from the SJB. Could still be an actuator/solenoid.

Owners manual under the indexed "fuses" section will give you the diagram of what's what for the SJB(and BEC).

This is what is looks like when the outer panel on the molding is removed:

Last edited by wayne613; 06-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
winevalleystang

Originally Posted by Nuke
Two things that typically (chroniclly) cause electrical issues/gremlins on the S197 are:
  1. Water leak as described in one (of the MANY) TSB's. Water leaks in from the cowling and causes the connections on the Smart Junction Box (SJB) inside the passenger kick panel to corrode. A leak from prior months can go undetected while the SJB connections degrade over time.
  2. Low voltage due to electrical degradation. The OE battery and alternator are weak links and are prone to cause low voltage conditions. Have both load tested.
has a brand new alternator (2 months old) and i had the battery load tested, could the alternator be bad already possibly?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM
winevalleystang

Originally Posted by wayne613
SJB = Smart Junction Box

This is a secondary electrical and logic hub for the car. Relays, fuses, and logic boards mainly slaved from the PCM.

PCM controls the voltage output of the alternator based on the IAT sensor(cold engine, higher voltage, warmer it lowers). That is the sealed metal box towards the front of the engine bay on the passenger side, below the BEC (Bussed electrical center), which is the main fuse and relay hub direct from the battery itself.

Yank the plastic molding out on the passenger side kickpanel just before the door to narrow down what/where the noise is coming from. I can guess from what you state, but I'd first verify this is eminating from the SJB. Could still be an actuator/solenoid.

Owners manual under the indexed "fuses" section will give you the diagram of what's what for the SJB(and BEC).

This is what is looks like when the outer panel on the molding is removed:
Yes! this is where the sound is coming from, im going to replace a few fuses right now and let you know the results!

its getting worse, yesterday it did it while my AC is running, wheres before it didnt.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
winevalleystang

Originally Posted by Nuke
So if i dont find a fix soon i should check out the SJB? Ive never worked on this car before, do i have to remove the dash etc to get it out or can i get to most of what corrodes just by removing its outer frame thing?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately, I've never heard of anyone being able to REPAIR their SJB dur to the corrosion from the water leak issue; only replace it which also requires dealer programming. Not pretty or cheap.

Be sure to confirm that it's not a replaceable component on the SJB or that it's something on the SJB to begin with. And while you're looking at it, try to see if you have any evidence of a prior water leak by checking under the carpet.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
winevalleystang

So i just pulled out the fuses near the SJB and they all have a black coating on the tips, my buddy said something is getting hot and this isnt good. This is a picture of one.

Since i recently replaced the alternator, could the regulator on the alt be broken causing it to overcharge? ive notcied the noise and the battery overcharging really only occurs when im on the throttle or at high rpm

Quick Reply: ticking noise from passenger side panel + battery gauge jumping.