Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with Koni str. t shocks- Got a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Question Those with Koni str. t shocks- Got a question

I'm starting to feel like all I post in here are issues I keep having, so I apologize in advance. Anyway, cleaning up under the car today and noticed this happening on my shocks:

Paint's just flaking off? And it seems that is rubber under where all the paint is coming up(part of the bushing?). This just started within the past few weeks or so, because I've never noticed it before. The exposed part seems to be a bit beat up as well. I think you can tell from the pics. Is this common, normal?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Its normal
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Its normal
Thanks bud!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

The paint flaking off the rubber bushing is normal.

Personally, I would touch up the steel sleeve (smaller diameter part) with some rustoleum, it is cheap & it works.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Don't think mine is doing that on the bottoms. However, not long after putting them on the plastic sleeve on the top of the shock has scrapped off a good amount of paint from the shock.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
The paint flaking off the rubber bushing is normal.

Personally, I would touch up the steel sleeve (smaller diameter part) with some rustoleum, it is cheap & it works.
Which part are you talking about? In the pic, everything you can see that has paint flaking off is rubber I believe. I'll have to check it again.
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Don't think mine is doing that on the bottoms. However, not long after putting them on the plastic sleeve on the top of the shock has scrapped off a good amount of paint from the shock.
Mine did that too, on the driver's side. I was able to spin the sleeve a bit to where it had more clearance in that spot. I cleaned it up and covered the spot with some touch up clear so it wouldnt get any worse. After it dried I spread some super lube over it so if it did have contact again, maybe it wouldn't jack it up anymore. After thinking about it, with that piece being rubber and painted, I don't see how it wouldn't do this after a little while. Weird that they would paint the bushing? I've had them in for about 3500 miles so far.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

How do you guys like them? Suspension isn't high on my priority list right now, but when I do lower my car I'll most likely go with these koni's.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
How do you guys like them? Suspension isn't high on my priority list right now, but when I do lower my car I'll most likely go with these koni's.
I dig 'em. I have them paired with the steeda sports and the ride is great(and we have some pretty jacked up roads around here). I ended up getting a defective strut that squeaks and squeals horribly, but Koni has sent me out a replacement. If I ever get any time to swap it out, I will be happy
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

i have them as well, paired with tein lowering springs. the ride is nice and the stance is just perfect imo
Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I have mine paired with the FRPP "B" springs and I could not be happier. At the softest setting on the struts/shocks it feels like a good sport suspension, but with a turn of a **** you can get as stiff as you like.

One good thing about the Koni's is that they are adjustable from under the hood and inside the trunk. Some brands of adjustable strut/shocks are only adjustable from crawling under the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Those with Koni str. t shocks- Got a question